Chapter 24

Jezebel stood on the parapet of the palace wall. She looked at the dry lands all around. At least here in the Jezreel valley the mornings and the evenings were cooled by a soft breeze that danced through the valley bringing relief from the midday sun and the drought conditions.

Directly beneath the palace wall, on the south side, grew a vineyard. The vineyard stood out like a bright green patch on a very dull and dreary quilt that covered the land. Jezebel was intrigued by this phenomenon. How come this vineyard appeared green and healthy and unaffected by the drought while everything else withered away? She asked the resident palace staff if they knew the reason why the vineyard remained green and lush, producing the most delicious fruit.

Most of the staff just shrugged their shoulders. Some said the water table rose to within a few metres of the surface in that area. This rationalisation seemed feasible as some of the deeper wells in the vicinity were still delivering water in spite of the drought.

One old hostler ventured that it was because the owner, a man called Naboth, who was a devout, God-fearing man, was blessed by Yahweh, hence the condition of the vineyard. Jezebel pooh-poohed the idea. Why would any god, even Yahweh, favour one person above another during drought conditions?

The queen was curious about the vineyard but did not complain. Most evenings, tired of being cooped up in the palace, and looking at her irregular shape (her protruding belly making it quite obvious that she was very much with child), she would take a walk with Shelah and her bodyguards, outside the palace walls. She enjoyed walking through Naboth's vineyard and sampling the grapes as they walked. The vineyard ended only a few metres from the palace wall. There was no wall or fence protecting the vineyard at this section of the property, so it was easily accessible from the palace side.

As Jezebel stood on the palace wall, looking out into the distance, she thought she saw clouds of dust as if someone was coming down the road. Dark clouds had suddenly filled the sky, making it difficult to see far. Could this be rain clouds? It certainly was something she hadn't seen for three long years.

She tried to focus but the wind had picked up and kept blowing her outer garments about her head and face. The temperature dropped significantly. This was too much for the queen. She gathered her cloak about her shoulders and, casting one last look at the road leading into Jezreel, hurried inside.

The servants hurried about the palace, lighting lamps. The dark clouds outside made it feel much later than it actually was. Then the heavens opened. After three years of drought it should have been a welcoming sound, the rain beating down on the palace roof, but somehow everyone felt apprehensive and uneasy. Little did the queen and the staff know that their anxiety was justified. The rain had come with a cost, especially to the queen and all Baal worshippers.

The main palace door flung open and a very wet and bedraggled Ahab entered. Servants rushed to his aid as he flung off his soaking garments and made his way to his chambers seeking dry clothing.

Jezebel heard the commotion and peered over the railings to the entrance hall below. Seeing no one, she made her way down to the sitting room to enjoy something to drink. The rain made it impossible to go for her afternoon stroll but luckily Shelah had picked some grapes from Naboth's vineyard the day before, so there would be something sweet and juicy to satisfy her pregnant cravings.

The queen rested her head on the back of the couch, listening to the rain. She wondered what made Yahweh change his mind and finally end the drought.
The door opened and Ahab entered. Without greeting his wife, he made his way to the cabinet containing the wine flasks. He filled a goblet and moved away. By the third step he had emptied the goblet so he turned around and refilled his chalice.