Chapter 4

King Ithobaal trusted his daughter and knew from past experience that she could look after herself. However, he paced up and down, continually peering out the window. She had been gone a long time and he wasn't pleased with the fact that she hadn't taken her handmaiden with her. Alone with a man for so long... it wasn't normal behaviour for his daughter. He pushed these nagging thoughts out his mind. Perhaps he was just feeling grumpy because everyone had deserted him and left him alone with that annoying Grouche and that unpleasant body odour that accompanied him.

Suddenly he stopped his pacing and stared out the window. His daughter and the Israelite King came walking through the garden gate. The frown on his face was evidence of his surprise. The Princess was smiling and laughing and chatting like a schoolgirl, certainly not the behaviour she had displayed with previous visiting dignitaries. Ahab was also smiling and had tied his hair back with some or other ribbon.

Ithobaal's facial expression was serious. This was not how he had planned his approach to the coming discussions with Ahab. He had to tread lightly. What he wanted from the Israelites was much more than he had to barter with. His country had a lot to offer, but the Israelite King wasn't too interested in the glitz and glamour that the city-state of Tyre had to offer. Ahab was thus far only interested in the weapons and machines of war that Tyre imported. Unfortunately these were not products that the Phoenician sea traders dealt in. Fine and expensive fabrics, silk, gold, silver, precious stones, exotic foods and spices, these were in high demand.

Slowly Ithobaal's expression changed and a smile crept across his lips.
"My sweet, wise daughter." he whispered to himself.
"You even had your father fooled. You have studied your opponent and know he is a warrior King. He's no statesman. What does he know about negotiating with other Kings. He only knows how to slaughter them." His smile broadened and he continued his soliloquy.
"His armour may be made of steel, but you, my princess, will melt his heart. He will be putty in my hands when we next meet across the table".

                    ***********

When Itha-baal and Ahab neared the garden gate which led through the gardens and then via various pathways to the different entrances of the palace, Itha-baal let go of Ahab's arm and moved away slightly. She stopped and removed his cloak and handed it back to him. Ahab had a confused look on his face. In fact he looked more like someone who had his present taken away on his birthday. The princess read his thoughts and stepped up close. She looked up into his eyes and ran her hands down his face, down his chest and then unsuspectingly punched him in the stomach. She laughed as she explained.

"My father would cut you up in small pieces if he saw me holding onto you and wearing your cloak and being with you without a chaperone."

Ahab slowly nodded his head as it dawned on him what the princess had said. He asked:

"But why did you punch me in the stomach?"

"To get rid of that stupid grin you had on your face ever since we came out the water. It was a complete give-away that you had been up to something mischievous."

"But nothing happened. I didn't do anything untoward!"

"I know that, but my father doesn't. One last thing... come here, let me do something with your hair."

Itha-baal lifted her arm, taking hold of the ribbon that was interlaced at the end of her sleeve, and pulled it out. She walked behind Ahab and began pulling his hair back into a pony-tail. She tied his hair with the ribbon from her sleeve. Ahab tried to talk to her between cringing as she pulled his hair.

" I suppose this is also something to do with your father? Ahab queried.

Itha-baal answered.

" Your hair looked like you made love to one of those apes that come from Africa. I had to tame that mess before my father saw you and imagined all sorts of things."

She smiled at the Israelite King and softly said,

"Let's go!"

                   ***********

That evening when everyone entered the great hall for the special supper Ithobaal had prepared for his guests, his daughter surprised him by breaking protocol again.

Normally, the Phoenician king would sit at the head of the table with his esteemed guest to his right and his daughter to his left. On this occasion Ithobaal took his seat at the head of the table as expected, and indicated for Ahab to be seated on his right. The rest of the seats on the righthand side of the table were taken up by Ahab's entourage. The highest ranking officer would be seated next to the king, the rest in diminishing order of rank. Before the the King's General could take his seat, Itha-baal slipped into the seat next to Ahab. She gave him a quick smile and then looked straight in front of her.

Ithobaal's eyes widened and he fought hard not to publicly question his daughter's action. He did not want to make a scene. That would be a sign of weakness, the last thing he desired right before the negotiations.

Ithobaal forced a smile and tried to counteract his daughter's actions by calling Ahab's General to come and sit next to him on his left. Ithobaal's decision was rewarded with some interesting and informative conversation with the General.

Ahab's divided attention between the Princess, the food (he was ravenous after his swim) and the Tyrian King, resulted in a master of none situation when it came to interesting conversation.

The Tyrian King was not impressed with the behaviour of both his daughter and the Israelite King. He certainly wasn't going to have a repeat performance of the day's happenings, the following day. He racked his brain for a solution, which finally came. He thought for a few more minutes, his mind finalising the details. He turned to Ahab, trying to sound as casual as he could, and said:

"As you may well know, my honourable guest, Tyre is well known for many accomplishments, especially those involving the sea. Take our ocean-going fleet of ships for instance, but nothing can compare with our most prized achievement, the manufacture and export of the Phoenician purple dye.

Tomorrow, as a special treat, we shall take my carriage to Sidon where you will see firsthand, the whole process of this amazing treasure, the sea has blessed us with. "

The princess, upon hearing these arrangements, leaned forward and smiling at Ahab exclaimed:

" Oh! That will be such fun, I love going to Sidon it's such an interesting place."

The Tyranian king, felt quite smug. His plan was working. Presenting a serious face, he answered,

"That, my dear daughter, will not be possible. I need you to stay and handle all the matters of state that may arise while I am away. In any case, Grouche is leaving tomorrow and you will have to organise his departure. "

Itha-baal started to protest. Her father lifted up his hand and the look in his eyes halted her protest. He didn't speak. He didn't have to. She rarely disagreed with him and never in public. She sat back in her seat and quietly said,

" Yes father."

Thinking about the last few hours, Itha-baal couldn't explain what came over her. Her boisterous behaviour with a complete stranger was completely out of character. Yet it felt good. She had enjoyed every minute of it. Her father had groomed her to be and act as what she was...a Princess-Royal.

All the grooming couldn't explain the feelings that swept through her being when she was close to this warrior king. Even now as she sat next to him, the proximity to this horse-smelling, scarred, rough, muscular King, sent strange sensations up and down her spine.

Perhaps a day apart will do her good. But for the rest of the evening, she would revel in his company.