Chapter 12

The year went quickly. Ahab tried to complete the Baal temple for his wife, but even with the aid of the Tyrian craftsmen, it was too great a task to accomplish. The initial delay caused by his own statesmen and especially the opposition he received from the Hebrew priests and Rabbis, had delayed the commencement of the building. The cutting and transporting of the cedar logs from the forests on the slopes of the mountains above Tyre was a mammoth task in itself.

He longed for his Queen. He would send for her and all else would have to wait. On the positive side, the Queen's quarters within the palace, were completed. The main boudoir with huge glass doors leading onto beautiful gardens would give the new queen, not only the privacy her station demanded, but a place of peace, where she could find her innermost self and reminisce about her beloved Tyre. Ahab had three ornate fountains built. Marble Dolphins and other images of fish, and sea creatures spewed water into the ponds surrounding the fountains. This was truly a luxury, considering the scarcity of water in the city. Ahab was determined to make his wife feel at home.

The queen's quarters also included sleeping quarters for her myriad of handmaidens and the eunuchs, two of which would guard her bedroom door, day and night.

The delegation, accompanied by a large contingent of soldiers, set off. The great hall within the Palace was being prepared for the wedding feast. Seven days of feasting and celebration.

When Jezebel, as she was now called, arrived, she was ushered into a room normally reserved for visiting guests. She did not see Ahab. The Queen would now be allowed to rest from the rigours of the journey, not that there was much discomfort. Ahab had spared no effort in ensuring his Queen's trip was as pleasing as possible. The most distressing aspect of the trip for Jezebel was the scenery change. To leave behind the lush green landscape, framed by the beautiful blue of the sea with the soft cooling breeze, that always seemed to envelop her, for the dry, hot, sparsely vegetated semi-desert conditions surrounding Samaria, was the cause of great melancholy.
Jezebel sucked on the stone that she kept in her mouth after eating the last cherry. The action produced saliva which eased her parched throat. Over and over she tried to forget Tyre and all the natural luxuries she had known since birth. Her love for Ahab forced her to accept her fate and future in this foreign land, but it wasn't easy. There were times on the journey when she wanted to turn around and go home. It was during those times that she cursed falling for the battle scarred King of Israel.

Jezebel would spend the night in this room. Her handmaidens would sleep on the floor and be there for her every beck and call. She would bathe in a bath filled with water and goat's milk. Perfume and scents of cassia and sandalwood would be sprinkled on her body. Tomorrow, early, she would be dressed by her handmaidens and painted with henna. Beautiful pictures of birds and dolphins, intricate patterns of leaves and vines all the way down her legs to her feet. Her face would be transformed with pictures of lotus blossoms and her eyes accentuated with kohl.

They will plait her hair, winding it up on her head before placing a jewel studded diadem on top. A gold-embroidered robe will be placed over her shoulders. Rings on her fingers and a gold choker around her neck. The 15 year old, perhaps nervous Princess, would be transformed into a regal Queen, fit for her wedding day.

~~~~~~~~

Jezebel was suddenly awake. It was completely dark, the lamps had gone out so it was probably after midnight. A misguided cock crowed somewhere in the distance. Jezebel lay quite still until her eyes grew accustomed to the darkness. The room wasn't quiet. The handmaidens were asleep on the floor, their deep breathing and light snoring filled the room. They slept soundly after their long journey.

A strange feeling filled Jezebel. It was as if someone or something was calling her. She felt claustrophobic in the room. She wanted to be alone with her thoughts. She needed to get out. Silently she swung her legs off the bed. She made her way carefully through the human maze on the floor. When she came to the door, she hunted for the handle, it was so dark she couldn't see it. Suddenly the cold of the cast-iron handle met her hands. With a sigh of relief she pushed down hard on the cold metal. The door creaked and she stopped for a moment, fearful she would wake someone. When the door was fully opened, Jezebel stepped outside. She nearly tripped over the eunuchs outside. They were fast asleep, having slid down to a sitting position, heads against the wall. Normally this failure of duty would mean punishment or even death. Tonight Jezebel forgave them, she was even glad. It made her escape from the room possible. It was their first night on duty.