Chapter 11

Ngejin Ali smiled from ear to ear as he looked at himself in the mirror. It was the first time in many years that he had a chance to wear his traditional ceremonial outfit. The big day had arrived. The Betrothal ceremony of the Israelite King and the Tyrian Princess Royal would take place today. It was a particularly special day for the Nubian fan-bearer, for Ahab had requested that Ngejin Ali accompany him and carry his white wedding tunic and cloak from his room in the palace to the tent containing the water bath for the immersion ritual.

Ithobaal was surprised at Ahab's request, but readily agreed. Perhaps it was because Ahab had injured the fan-bearer's arm but he knew that the two warriors had great respect for each other.

Ngejin Ali would be the only one entering the tent with the warrior king. Ahab chose the Nubian fan-bearer mainly because he was a quiet person and spoke only when spoken to. On this special day, Ahab wanted some peace and quiet. He wanted to meditate on the laws that bound him and prepare himself for the spiritual cleansing. Even though he was king, taking a wife was a big step. As queen consort, his wife, in his absence, would make decisions that affected the whole kingdom. Her sons would be heir to the throne. All these thoughts played on his mind.

~~~~~~~~~

The trumpets sounded. Hundreds of young priestesses and temple assistants, all clothed in white, poured out of the Palace. They danced and played musical instruments as they made their way from the Palace to the tent of immersion. At the back of the procession, the Princess Royal emerged with four of her ladies-in-waiting. She was also dressed in white with a short veil, ending just below her chin. She would take part in the immersion ceremony, only on Ahab's request. The spiritual aspect did not interest her. The whole ritual was part of her husband's marriage ceremony, not hers. She quite liked the idea of cooling off in scented water before the heat of the day.

In stark comparison, Ahab emerged from the Palace alone and in silence, no fanfare for the king. He was followed by Ngejin Ali carrying his white apparel on a gold velvet cushion. The rabbi met them halfway and walked in front, reading from the scriptures, but did not go into the tent. He continued to the Huppah (canopy) and waited for them there.

The priestesses continued to dance and make music while Itha-baal bathed inside the tent, accompanied by her handmaidens who would dry and dress her.

Ahab emerged from the tent first. Ngejin Ali followed and made his way to stand beside his king, Ithobaal. His work for Ahab was finished and he was a fan-bearer cum bodyguard once more. Ahab made his way to the huppah and waited. He would not sit until Itha-baal arrived. The huppah was symbolic of a new household, so the couple would enter the canopy together.

Itha-baal emerged from the tent. Everyone seated around the huppah jumped to their feet and cheered loudly. 90% of the people present were Phoenician and this was their Princess, so they treated this betrothal ceremony as a huge celebration. They didn't even mind the more significant traditional Jewish side of the ceremony. To them this was a joyous time and they were going to make the most of it.

The Jewish wedding celebrations in Samaria would last for seven days but that would only take place in about a year's time, when the Israelite King would send for his bride. In the meantime he would go and prepare a special place, in his palace, for her. In Ahab's case, there was a wedding present to organise... a temple for his bride, so that she could continue to conduct her worship to Baal and other related gods!

The betrothed couple, hand in hand, entered the huppah and took their seats. Immediately, the rabbi placed the marriage contract in front of the Princess. She knew the contents but had to publicly sign it. When she had finished signing, the contract was passed to Ahab who also signed. The contract would be kept at the Palace and referred to if there were any disputes in the future. The contract was rolled up and inserted in a very ornate mezuzah, specially made for the occasion. The rabbi, holding the sealed mezuzah high above his head, prayed and blessed the union of the betrothed couple. The mezuzah was then given to Ithobaal, as the bride's father for safekeeping.

The whole process was then repeated, this time the copy of the contract was entrusted to one of Ahab's personal advisors, who would take it back to Samaria. This copy, if anything happened to the King, would serve to settle any disputes and claims initiated by the wife's family, against the house of the Israelite King.

The trumpets sounded again and two pageboys approached the huppah, each holding a golden velvet cushion, much like the Nubian fan-bearer had carried Ahab's white tunic and cloak on. In the centre of each cushion rested a ring. One was a broad gold ring embellished with silver carvings of a sword, a horse and a crown. The carvings were completely covered with melee diamonds. The ring was Itha-baal's gift to Ahab. It symbolised her Warrior King husband.

The other ring, Ahab's gift to Itha-baal, was also gold, set with diamonds (power and perfection), rubies (wise and virtuous), and sapphires (purity of the soul). Figurines of silver dolphins, adorned the ring forming the clasps for the precious stones. They were a reminder that she was a princess of the sea. Minute icons of the Murex snail were carved from amethyst and adorned the ring between the precious gems, a reminder of her royal heritage and wealth.

The rabbi took the cushions and placed the appropriate rings in front of Itha-baal and Ahab. After a prayer, calling Yahweh to bless the couple with prosperity, children and eternal love, all of which were symbolised by the rings, the rabbi nodded his head. The couple rose and faced each other.
Ahab took his betrothed's hand and placed the ring on her finger. The ring was part of the bride price. This differed from the ring, which Itha-baal placed on Ahab's finger, which was merely a token of her love and affection for her husband.

The couple remained standing. The rabbi indicated that all present should stand. The last act of the betrothal ceremony would now take place. The rabbi took the vessel containing the wine and poured some into a small glass. Lifting the glass he recited the kiddish - the prayer of sanctification. He drank the wine. He then filled two glasses with the wine and handed one each to Ahab and Itha-baal. Two of the Princess's handmaidens came forward and lifted Itha-baal's veil. Ahab raised his voice so everyone could hear.
"I drink this wine to seal our covenant vows. We are betrothed and after the passing of one year, I'll send for you and we will celebrate our Seudah (wedding feast) together. From this day on, you are my wife. No more will you be a Phoenician princess but a queen of Israel and your name shall be Jezebel! "

The couple linked arms and drank together.

Ithobaal's strong voice rang out above the chattering of the crowd.
"Come everyone, you are all invited. There is wine and food in the banquet hall. Let us celebrate this joyous occasion. I have lost a daughter of the sea, but gained a warrior son of the desert!"