Chapter 10

Ahab stood in the Palace courtyard. He was waiting for Itha-baal. He smiled to himself. Was this how it would be in the future, always waiting for his wife? He felt arms around his waist. He turned and the princess looked up and smiled at him. Taking his hand, she began tugging him to the gate they had used the first time they met, when they went down to the sea. Once outside the palace walls, she led him to a rocky outcrop that overlooked both harbours and the sea beyond.
Before she could speak, Ahab asked,
"Where do you go to every morning? Or do you just sleep late every day?"

As if she didn't hear him, Itha-baal kept her gaze looking out to sea. She began speaking, as to the wind.
"I'm going to miss this place, this Rock  that gave Tyre it's name. Did you know that legend says two great rocks were joined together by the roots of a sacred olive tree to create this magnificent place. It's beauty is even mentioned by our enemies. They say there is no place so breathtaking in the world. People who visit Tyre say it is like a city floating in the sea, rising out the water with high buildings with marble walls, the ornate gilded roofs of the royal palace and great temples.

The source of our wealth are our two deep-water harbors. They were hewn out the rock and are protected by fifty-foot-wide breakwaters. One faces north, the other, south. It doesn't matter which way the wind blows, our ships can always make it safely into port. Our captains are so skilled, they sail right into the harbour under full sail without floundering on the rocky reefs.

We control all the maritime trade routes of the Mediterranean. We were the first to charter the currents and use them to our advantage. We were the first to navigate by using the North Star so that we could sail by night. We were the first to use triangulation, taking readings off mountains and headlands to establish our exact position.

We have sailed through the Pillars of Melquart into the Atlantic ocean. This is how our tiny island state with hardly any natural resources makes its fortune. We bring cedars from the mountains and build ships. Our ships trade for gold which we craft into jewellery. Our ships bring raw silk and fine linen which we dye into exquisite shades of red and purple. We trade in rare spices and resins. We conquer by trade and not by force. We don't even have an army, except for the King's guard, and they are only there for show.

So you see what I must relinquish, what I must leave behind when I become your wife. "

Ahab shifted his weight uncomfortably from one leg to the other, cleared his throat, but before he could speak, Itha-baal, still looking over her beloved Tyre, continued.
" Excuse my rambling but to answer your question. King Hiram I of Tyre and Sidon commissioned three temples to be built. The first dedicated to our god of the sea, Melquart. The second to our great mother Astarte, consort to El, father of all the gods. The third to their son, Baal Shamem, god of rain and fertility. The masons who built these temples were so skilled that Hiram sent them to Solomon to help build the the great temple to Yahweh in Jerusalem.

You wanted to know where I go every morning. I am the High priestess to our god Baal, as my father was High priest. Our names reflect that honour. Every morning I carry out the duties of my station and lead the worship in one of the temples. I also train young maidens to become priestesses.

My father, even though he desired the alliance with Israel and would have used me as a bargaining chip if he needed to, did however ask me if I would willingly take you as my husband. I made his task easy, by falling in love with you. There is one thing I must mention, as I did to my father. I will not denounce my gods. I will not give up my high priestess position for my father's benefit, not even for you. I say this now before the wedding. If you have an issue with that stipulation, then we must end our relationship now. "

Ahab thought in silence for a short while, then asked.
" How will it work? You know you must live with me in Samaria. You cannot travel to Tyre every day."
The Princess held his arm and with a mock coyness whispered,
" Nothing that a small wedding present couldn't solve."
Bewildered, Ahab repeated, "Wedding present! What sort of wedding present?" Itha-baal smiled and explained.
"A temple, a very large, magnificent temple. Right in the heart of Samaria. A temple supreme for Baal and Astarte."
Ahab's mind raced round in circles, falling over hurdles as it went. The space... Itha-baal would want it near or even next to the palace.
He would have to demolish buildings and houses to accommodate such a large building. Property owners wouldn’t easily give up their land when they heard what was being planned in its place.
He would probably have to import skilled masons to design and build the temple. Local craftsmen wouldn't have a clue what a Baal temple should look like.
Those who were staunch Yahweh worshippers would probably refuse to work on a Baal temple anyway.
It would probably cost a lot of money. Did he really want to spend so much on another temple? There were enough already. Admittedly they were all for worshipping Yahweh.
He couldn't keep quiet any longer. He put his hands on her shoulders and with genuine seriousness and concern he said,
"We worship one God. I don't think my people will like it very much if we build a temple for other gods. I know that Yahweh will be displeased and we may even lose His blessing."

The Princess just shook her head, grabbed his hand and started pulling him back to the palace. As they walked she argued,
"You worry too much. How boring to have only one god. You'll probably find he's actually lonely and will enjoy the company of other gods."
For the first time Ahab realised two things.
One, his wife-to-be had no concept of an all-powerful, Almighty God, who actually made the heavens and the earth and not just lived there.
And secondly, he didn't know how he was ever going to say no to this head-strong, strong-willed girl who he had fallen in love with.

                           ~~~~~~~~~

The following day Ahab, with his trusted General and two of his bodyguards, went into the city centre. King Ithobaal had given them directions, and a letter of reference, to find a certain jeweller who would craft two matching rings for the wedding. When the men entered the workshop and studied the jewellery that the craftsman had created, they realised that Tyre was gifted with some of the most skilful craftsmen in the known world.

After Ahab had described the rings he desired, the jeweller making notes and drawing diagrams all the time he was speaking, the group of men hurried back to the royal palace where Ithobaal's own personal tailor would take Ahab's measurements. Ahab would wear a white tunic reaching down to his white sandals and a white cloak for the betrothal ceremony. The only embellishment would be gold braiding around the neck of the garment, the cuffs and the hem. A gold brooch, attached to the cloak, would keep it in place.

While these preparations were taking place, the rabbi and the scribes, who had accompanied Ahab, were drawing up the documents that would be signed by both parties at the betrothal ceremony.

The Palace servants and workmen were busy erecting a canopy in the garden. A table and two chairs were placed under the canopy. Beautiful white roses, lilies and other white flowers would adorn the canopy on the day of the celebration. On the table, a silver decanter and two gold goblets were placed. The decanter would be filled with wine just before the couple took their seats. The area all around the canopy would be filled with chairs to seat the invited guests. Messengers had already been despatched to guests who needed time to travel to Tyre.

On either side of the ceremonial canopy, erected about 20 metres away, two white tents were erected. Above the entrance to each tent the Royal emblem of the kingdom represented was placed. One for the house of Omri and the other for the house of Ithobaal. Each tent contained a marble bath, which would be filled with scented water, slightly above the ambient temperature. The couple would be immersed in the water, each in their own bath, in their own tent. This would signify cleansing of, not only their bodies, but also their souls. In Ahab's case, it would represent forgiveness of past sins and a closer walk with his God.