Chapter 8

Ithobaal stood up and roared with laughter. The noisy hall fell silent. The King continued to laugh. The poor aide who was trying to patch the puncture mark on the King's neck, where Ahab's sword had pierced the skin, was pushed away. Finally when the King stopped laughing, he found Ahab in the crowd and summoned him onto the royal platform. He clapped his hands and gripping Ahab by his shoulders, turned to the guests and said,
"And that my friends, is how you win the war, the war of words anyway!
I have made up my mind. There will be no further discussions."
Ithobaal spun Ahab round to face the people. He continued.
"Men and women of Tyre, salute our champion, Protector of our precious Royal Purple merchandise.
Come let us celebrate this new alliance with food and drink, let's eat!"

Everyone moved to the adjoining banquet hall. Seeing and hearing the jollifications, one wouldn't have thought that a few short moments ago, their eyes were nearly popping out their heads with fear. The only person who remained conspicuously uninvolved, was Itha-baal. She had recovered from her emotional collapse but couldn't forgive Ahab for putting her in a position where everyone witnessed it.
She was the Princess Royal, she wasn't supposed to breakdown under stress. Her father had schooled her to be calm and collected and not show emotion, especially in public. The fact that she did irked her immensely and deep down she knew she couldn't blame anyone else for her behaviour. But Itha-baal wasn't going to let the deep down truth dominate her present feelings. Someone had to take the fall, and that person was Ahab.

Ahab wasn't finished shocking the people. He had a long carriage ride the day before to mentally perfect his plans. He smiled to himself. This time his own men didn't even know what was coming. It was nearly time to drop his next bomb.

The scribes had been busy at the back of the main hall, furiously finalising the documents that laid out the alliance between the two kingdoms, and the amount of gold and other precious items that would change hands as payment for the military support and protection that Israel could provide.

The scribes and clerks of the state filed into the banquet hall. Some went to King Ithobaal and some made their way to Ahab. To both they handed over identical documents. The documents would be checked by the Kings and their aides and then the signing would take place.

King Ithobaal clapped his hands for silence and attention. He looked across the hall to where Ahab and his entourage had gathered.
"Good King Ahab, please peruse the documents handed to you and if and when you are satisfied with the arrangements set out therein, we can go into my private chambers and proceed with the signing of the contracts. I think you will find everything will meet your approval. "

Ahab said nothing but waved his hand signalling he understood. He led his men to the bottom of one of the tables and ordered the servants and waiters to clear the plates and leftover food to make way for the documents to be rolled out. He did not read them himself but listened to his advisors and scribes as they deciphered the  Phoenician alphabet used to write the contracts. This was not as difficult as one surmised, as the Hebrew alphabet, as happened to many other countries that traded with Tyre and Sidon, had slowly been influenced by the much simpler Phoenician alphabet.

His bodyguards stood just out of earshot, keeping nosy guests just far enough away so that they could not hear what was being said. This was not in keeping with how proceedings of this nature would normally be done, but Ahab had specifically requested that the guests be allowed to stay in the hall. He wanted a large audience for his next surprise.

Most of the tables had been cleared. Only decanters of wine and clean glasses were placed in the middle of the tables. The benches alongside each table were empty and everyone seemed to want to stand rather than sit. Both kings were standing. Perhaps sitting, while your host and guest of honour stood, did not seem the right etiquette for the occasion.

It was King Ithobaal again who brought those present to order. Summoning King Ahab he spoke,
"Come Protector of trade routes, let us bring this meeting to a close. Follow me."

Ahab drew a deep breath. The time had come. Because everyone was standing, he could hardly see Ithobaal so he jumped on the nearest table. This act alone caused a stir but when he spoke the room went completely silent.
" Good King of Tyre, do not be so hasty to end this meeting. It seems you take for granted that I have approved the conditions of our alliance. Having given it some thought, I think the scales do not hang evenly in the balance."

Ithobaal was completely taken by surprise. It felt as if for the second time today a sword point was at his throat.
"I'm afraid I do not understand. I thought we had covered everything we discussed. I gave you everything you asked for. What, pray tell, displeases you?"

Ahab rubbed his chin and slowly his head went from side to side as if something really troubled him. Of course this was all for show and dramatic effect. He continued, speaking like someone airing his thoughts more than answering a question.
"Everything that the Phoenicians have to offer is inanimate. Of great worth but lifeless. What I bring to the table are living beings, breathing people with hearts and souls. Can one put a price on life?

If one of my men should die while protecting your goods, can you bring him to life again? Will money and gold comfort his grieving mother or wife? Will brass and copper dry his children's tears?
So you see good King, what I offer is of much greater worth than all your gold. I offer human lives. "

Ithobaal was now past all pleasantries. He was red in the face and didn't understand where all this was going. He shouted back at Ahab.

" You test my patience boy. What shall I do... Kill one of my subjects and send you the corpse every time one of your men gets killed? Will that balance the scale?"

The heads of the people in the hall twisted like puppets as they shifted their attention from one king to the other. Ahab smirked as he answered.
"Only one!"

"What do you mean, only one?" Ithobaal returned, his voice full of irratation. "Shall I slay my fan-bearer? Will he be enough payment?"

Calmly Ahab corrected, "Your daughter!"

Ithobaal threw his hands up in the air in exasperation. "You are mad... no, completely insane. If you think I'm going to kill my only daughter for you, the treaty is off. Go! Get out of my sight!"

Ahab kept his calm. In fact he was enjoying this.
"I don't want her dead, I want her alive."

"So... you want to degrade me and my daughter by marching her off as a slave! That's worse than killing her."

Ahab prepared for the punch line.
"King of Tyre. Let's cease this misconception. I accept your terms and payment but I will not sign the contract unless you agree to give me your blessing for your daughter to become my wife. I wish to marry Itha-baal!"