Chapter 7

King Ithobaal had summoned everyone to the great hall. Ahab, his entourage and all the Tyrian statesmen walked along the corridors in silence. They filed into the great hall. Everyone would stand while negotiations were taking place. Those who had points of view would be given the chance to express them.

When the talks reached a point where everyone was satisfied with the arrangements, the attendees would retire to the adjoining banquet hall, where long tables of food awaited the hosts and guests. While everyone was eating and celebrating the conclusion of the talks, scribes would be busy drawing up the documents which would be signed by the Kings and important signatories from both sides.

Nobody really noticed that the men from Israel were not standing together. Ahab stood on the bottom step leading up to the throne. King Ithobaal sat relaxed on his throne. No one was near him except his fan bearer, a huge black man who also happened to be his personal bodyguard. Ngejin Asi, for this was the Nubian warrior's name, came to Tyre as a slave on a ship that had sailed along the Ethiopian coast. Ngejin Asi was a warrior, but had led an unsuccessful coup against the corrupt King of his country and therefore was sentenced to death. He escaped and stowed away on board a passing ship. He was discovered and sold as a slave to the Tyrian King.

Ithobaal was intriqued by the Nubian's story and his fighting skills. He offered to set him free on condition he became the king's bodyguard, disguised as his fan-bearer. Ngejin Asi was only too glad to serve a kind and just King. He had been the King's bodyguard cum fan-bearer for nearly four years now.

Ithobaal called the meeting to order. He started to re-iterate the reason for the meeting, when suddenly, Ahab drew his sword and dashed up the steps bearing down on the Tyrian king. At the same time each Israelite soldier grabbed the person in front of him and holding him tight with one hand, put a sword or dagger to the person's throat.

The Nubian fan-bearer reacted instinctively and drawing a long stiletto dagger from the handle of the fan, dived in front of his king to protect him and slay the attacker. Ahab was surprised at the attack but being a great warrior himself, he turned and brought his sword down on the hand holding the dangerous stiletto dagger. The fan-bearer growled with pain, dropping the knife, but not stopping in his charge towards Ahab, who cunningly stepped aside and kicked the man from Nubia and sent him sprawling down the steps. Ahab quickly grabbed hold of the King, thrusting the point of his sword into Ithobaal's neck, hard enough that a drop of blood emerged from the point of contact.

Itha-baal, who up to now had stood at the bottom of the steps, totally mesmerised by the turn of events, shrieked like a mad woman and made an attempt to run to her father. Ahab's General who had positioned himself behind the Princess, grabbed hold of her. He needed all his strength to hold onto the screaming, writhing girl.

Ahab looked down at Ngejin Asi who was recovering from his fall, Ahab slowly shook his head, warning that any further interference from the bodyguard wouldn't bode well for his king. Ahab turned and looked into the Tyrian King's eyes. Bitter disappointment and anger met Ahab's gaze. The King spoke softly but everyone in the hall heard him.
"What is the meaning of this? I invite you into my home and share my food with you, you befriend my daughter, we speak of future alliances, and this is how you repay me? What do you want? Do you want my throne? I don't understand. If I am to die, at least tell me the reason for your actions. "

The look on Ahab's face softened but he held his sword in place. He spoke to the King
" I am merely honouring your request O King"
With this Ahab lowered his sword. Each one of his men did the same. Releasing their hostages they sheathed their swords. Everyone was still in shock.

The only person who seemed to have quickly summed up the situation and had any sort idea what was going on, was the fan-bearer. Out the corner of his eye, Ahab caught the movement as Ngejin Asi rose to his feet, clutching the gash in his forearm.
Ahab was wary but could see no malice on the fan-bearer's face. Ngejin Asi walked up the steps, and not even glancing at Ahab or his King, bent and picked up his fallen stiletto dagger, and sliding it back into the handle of the fan, took up his position next to the King. Ahab couldn't help but let a faint smile slip across his face. This Nubian warrior was truly a person who could read a situation and body language better than any one else in the hall.

Ahab's face became serious and he scanned his men standing on the floor. When he found the one he was looking for, he nodded his head with a sideways glance towards the fan-bearer. The bodyguard made his way forward through the throng and when he reached the fan-bearer, he opened the satchel that hung by his side and proceeded to tend to the fan-bearer's wound with ointment and bandages. Ngejin Asi looked straight ahead, as if the medic wasn't there, but did not hinder his handiwork.

Now, for the first time, Itha-baal slowly lifted her head to see what was happening. She had been weeping with her head down ever since the General had held her and prevented her from rushing to her father. Her mind was in a turmoil. She was on the verge of falling in love with this warrior Israelite king, but his actions today had completely thrown her head, and her heart, in a spin.

Ithobaal was now completely bewildered. Everything had happened so fast and the changes in the situation hadn't helped to clear his mind. The behaviour of his personal bodyguard, although confusing, reassured him a little bit that the situation wasn't as dire as he first thought it was. He tried to clear his head, Ahab's last words reiterated in his brain. Looking at the warrior King before him, he asked.
"What request? What would I ever have asked you, to bring about such a violent display?"

Ahab sheathed his sword. He took a few steps down, turned and faced the Tyrian king.
"When we first arrived here, you mentioned the fact that you were not sure of our ability to protect your new trade routes. You belittled me by saying that you did not want to pay large sums of money just for a pretty face on a white horse. Furthermore, you said that the reports of  my army's expertise and victories might be mere exaggerations. Finally, you requested some sort of demonstration
to prove we were worthy of the task. I am a warrior and a king, if you want someone to prance around on a horse and do mock battles for your delight, summon the travelling actors to give you a show. "
Ahab stopped talking and looked around at the surrounding faces. He wanted his words to sink in and to gauge if he had gone too far with his presentation. He turned back to face Ithobaal and quietly said,
"I'm sorry. I knew of no other way to show you how seriously we take the art of war and how devoted to the task of protecting your trade routes we would be, if that would be the outcome of the negotiations.
One last thing, if anyone refers to my battle charger, as just a horse again, King or not, my sword will draw more than just a drop of blood! When we go into battle he becomes part of me and I know I can depend on him, even more than a brother. "

This last remark served well as an ice-breaker. Ahab's men laughed and the crowd in the hall began talking and smiling again. Ahab walked over to Itha-baal. He took hold of her shoulders and smiled at her. He so much wanted to tell her how he felt but knew this wasn't the time or place. She surprised him with her reaction. She shook her head as if in despair and beat her fists on his chest, finally breaking free of his hold and fleeing from the hall. Ahab stood stunned. His General leaned forward and whispered in his ear.
"She's not going to forgive you that easily!"