Chapter 4: Strangers

Since the day we left the hospital we had not once met another living being, it was like everyone was wiped off the face of the earth and now coming out of nowhere this man appears scaring the fuck out of me almost giving me a heart attack while on supply run. After the encounter and everything calmed down, the man started talking. He told us that he was with a big group of survivors who were set up north from us. Apparently, they're community go out and look for anyone still alive, but for some odd reason I don't believe him.

"Why is it you guys risk your lives going out and looking for people," said Mike.

The man stood there a moment before reaching into his pack and pulling out a map and some food.

"We're out here because we want people to be safe and not have to worry about surviving out here anymore, doesn't that seem reasonable to you," said the man.

Something wasn't right about him, he didn't act right and he kept on giving me a weird look. I know Mike agrees to, but I can't say anything, not right now anyways. An hour passed, and we needed to get going, mom and the others must be wondering where we are, and I don't feel safe in this area now that we have this stranger with us.

"We need to get going Mike we're almost out of daylight, you know how the others will be," I said.

We told the man we had to get going but that angered him in some way, he practically jumped out of his seat and blocked the entrance.

"You two are not going anywhere," said the man.

Mike pushed me behind him and told me to slowly back up towards the back door. I turned to face the direction to the door but was stopped by the frightening noise outside. Mike made his way to the window to see a horde of infected coming our way.

"TURN OFF THE LIGHTS NOW AND HIDE," the man said.

I managed to lock the doors before hiding under the bed in the Master Bedroom. At first there was banging at the front door and then the windows, then the back door. We were surrounded with nowhere to go. Mike was in the other room and I had no way to get his attention. I realized that the horde was heading towards mom and the others. There was no time waste, I had to go get mom and them out of the store. Out of nowhere I heard Mike in the living room yelling my name.

"Jason get in here I need your help," Mike said.

The way he sounded was like he was in pain, I ran to him, but I couldn't believe my eyes. Mike was laying there on the floor with one of the infected biting down on his leg. I grabbed the nearest thing near me and bashed the things head in.

"Mike I'm so sorry I really am but...but you know what happens when you get bit, but I can't kill you," I said breaking down in tears.

Mike started to cry too, he looked at me and told that everything was going to be alright.

"Promise me one thing Jason...promise me that you will keep my wife and kids safe and tell them that I love them very, very much and that daddy will seem them again one," Mike said as he closed his eyes.

I couldn't do this, Mike had two kids and a wife waiting for him to return safely. I can't just go back without him what am I supposed to tell them. Mike looked at me again tears in his eyes.

"Please Jason, I don't want to be one of those things they're evil, they have no life inside them and all they do is eat, please for the love of God please kill," Mike said.

Thinking was all I could do, I wasn't going to leave without him, so I thought.... I thought that maybe if I cut his leg off he wouldn't turn, but then I realized we don't have the medical supplies we needed to stop the bleeding and there's to many infected to fight off to get him out of here.

"Mike I'm...I'm so sorry this had to happen to you. Maybe...maybe if we didn't come on this stupid supply run we wouldn't be in this mess, please forgive...," I said before getting interrupted by multiple loud noises coming from outside.

I listened closely to call out the sounds, they were gunshots and they were close. The shots got louder and louder, whoever was shooting the guns were coming.