Chapter 2 - New Days

As my alarm went off, telling me to get up and get going to school, I sat in my bed, trying to work up the energy to get moving. Another lethargic morning, and another day of school. I can probably hang out in bed a bit longer if I'm willing to skip breakfast. I mean I think I can get by on a croissant or something until lunch.

After hanging out in bed for a while longer, I eventually willed myself out of bed and got ready for the school day. After getting dressed I grabbed a croissant from the bakery as well as a bagged loaf of babka, like I had promised Kosaka I'd bring to her a couple days ago, and headed out of the house. It was only finished this morning, so it's still slightly warm. I told my parents about taking one, so it's not like I was just stealing bread. The croissant on the other hand isn't a big enough deal to have to tell them. Well I say that but they are kinda a pain to make...

"Eh whatever, I gotta get going." I muttered to myself

I began the walk to school, waking up as I walked, but still feeling pretty tired. As I reached the front entrance of the school, I stretched my arms over my head, and as I lowered them, I noticed Kosaka alongside Sonoda and Minami walking through the halls.

When I got to the classroom, I saw the three of them talking at Kosaka's desk. I don't want to bother them, but I do want to see her expression when she sees her babka.

Deciding I'd just act casually, I walked over to them and placed the loaf on her desk with a smile as I said "Delivery to Kosaka."

Kosaka smiled at me as she said "Thanks L/n, it looks really good!"

"You not going to try and eat that entirely by yourself I hope" Sonoda asked

"No way! L/n said that he'd bring some from his family's bakery sometime so all of us in Muse can have it together." Kosaka said

"I see, well then thank you L/n." Sonoda said

"It's nothing. You girls were great when I saw you, and I had fun talking with Kosaka." I said

"So do you help make the bread at the bakery?" Minami asked

"Sometimes. I used to help bake pretty often, but lately I've been kinda busy." I said. Well, if I mean by busy I mean not having the motivation, but I'll keep that to myself.

I spoke to the three for a while longer before class came close to starting, and we headed back to our desks. I swear, there's something about Kosaka that really draws my attention, and while I don't really feel like I could tell her, I'd really like to talk to her more.

—-------------------------------------------

One Week Later...

As I wandered around town, I looked into the shop windows to see if I could find any shops that caught my interest. A used bookstore could be kinda nice, after all I've been meaning to find something else to read. Maybe I can find something I haven't read in years.

As I kept walking, I noticed that familiar head of auburn hair up ahead with something blocking my line of sight a little. I looked ahead and noticed that there was some dude blocking her into a corner as he talked to her. She seems uncomfortable... Welp, time to see if I can get her out of this without making myself seem like any more of a fool than usual.

As I moved closer, I saw what seemed like a leather wallet similar to mine in his back pocket. I have an idea, and I have no clue if it'll work, but it means I gotta empty my wallet into my pocket. After I did, I tapped the guy on the back, and when he turned back to face me, I flashed him the wallet before tossing it into the street. Unlike what I was hoping for, he didn't run to see if I really just threw his into the street, and instead patted down his back pocket to see if it was still there. Still, despite not going according to plan, I pushed out of the way enough to grab a hold of Kosaka's hand and start running. I'm not clever or intimidating or anything so this was the best I could come up with, but I guess this worked out, because by the time we came to a stop, it didn't look like the guy was following us or anything.

"Sorry to drag you along like that." I said, realizing I was still holding onto her hand and letting go.

Kosaka smiled and said "It's fine Y/n, thank you for coming to help me."

"I mean what was I supposed to do? I couldn't leave you there when you seemed uncomfortable." I responded. Wait, Y/n? So I guess we're on a first name basis now? "But anyways, how about I walk you where you were going in case that guy pops up again?"

"I was actually on my way home, but I'd be happy to have you walk with me." Honoka said

"Sounds like a plan." I said

I began to walk alongside as I followed her lead towards her home. I didn't really know what to say for the moment, but with some adrenaline from earlier still in my system, I decided to just say what I've had on my mind when I'm with Honoka recently, even if I had been a too introverted to straight up say it until now. "Hey, I don't really know how to say this, but ever since I saw you perform, I've started to notice you more, and you seem like such an interesting person-" I paused and sighed before I said "What I'm trying to say is that I'd really like to talk to you and get to know you more in the future. Would that be okay with you?"

Honoka smiled and said "Of course you can Y/n. I'd love to be friends with you!"

"Is that so? I'm really happy to hear that." I said

In the end, I walked her to her family's home, the front of which being the sweets shop Homura, and after talking to her for a little bit longer, I headed my own way, nibbling on some manju that Honoka had given me. Gotta say, my time with her today was particularly interesting compared to my normal days, and while I dunno if I'd want to start the encounter like that again, I certainly would enjoy spending plenty more time with her in the future.

--------------------------------------------------

A/n: I wonder how long it'll take before somebody picks up on my naming scheme here.