Chapter 4 - Fearful Experience

When the school festival finally arrived, I wandered around the school when I was finally let off from helping with my class's project for the thing. I still have some time to burn before Muse has their performance on the roof later. For the moment at the very least I don't really have anything, so after sending Honoka a text telling her good luck, I meandered for a bit before finding somewhere quiet to pass the time.

As I sat off to the side, watching people walking through the halls, I saw I had gotten a thank you from Honoka, and it was starting to get closer to the time they'll be performing.

"They said they were performing on the roof, right? I hope they figured something out to deal with the rain." I mumbled to myself as I passed through the halls, heading towards the roof.

As I walked up the final set of steps up onto the roof and opened the door, I saw a crowd gathered around a stage with the girls in Muse on it. I didn't have an umbrella right now, so I moved to the side of the doorway so I still had a little bit of cover from the rain, and tried to catch Honoka's line of sight, waving to her when I did.

I saw Honoka's smile grow that little bit bigger when she saw me, and not too long after, they started their performance. Like always, watching them brought a smile to my face, and the weight on my shoulders felt a little bit lighter. I love watching these girls sing and dance, with Honoka being my favorite of all.

However, while they performed, I saw Honoka stumble and collapse onto the ground. The other girls in Muse stopped performing to check on her, and rather than being the spectator I always end up being, I pushed my way through the crowd and got onto the stage

"Y/n!" Umi said as she saw me run up

"Come on, let's get her to the infirmary." I said as I picked Honoka up into my arms, and gestured for the people watching to move out of the way, walking through the crowd.

—---------------------------------------

Three Days Later...

As I got to Homura, I stepped inside and saw that Yukiho was the one up front. It's been a couple days since the incident at the school festival, and as much as I wanted to see her sooner, I kept stopping myself, having no idea what to say.

"Hey there Yukiho, how's Honoka doing?" I asked

Yukiho saw me and said "She's doing better. She's resting in her room right now, I take it you're here to see her?"

"That's right." I responded "Mind telling me how exactly I can get to her room?"

"I'll show you the way there real quick." Yukiho said before she started to head to the back, gesturing with her hand to follow her.

After following her, we reached a shut door, and as she opened it, she said "Somebody is here to see you."

As I stepped in, I saw Honoka sit up "Hey Y/n."

"Hey there, how are you holding up?" I said

"I'm doing better." Honoka said

"I'm glad to hear that, I brought you some of the rolls you seemed to like from my family's shop." I said as I placed the bag on the table in her room before I sat down beside her bed where she was laying.

"Thanks Y/n." Honoka said

"It's nothing much." I said

"By the way Y/n, Kotori told me that after what happened, you carried me to the infirmary." Honoka said

"I just wish there was more I could've done to help you." I said. I'm stuck on the sidelines, watching things play out so often, and while it's usually something I'm fine with, there are times that it means I'm just helpless to do anything but watch as misfortune comes to the people I care about. But rather than sit off to the side like I always have, my concern for Honoka brought me into action. "In any case, how about we talk about something else?"

I spent a while talking to Honoka until she eventually started to fall asleep again and rolled to face away from me to do so. Figuring that she needs all the rest she can to recover, I figured that was my cue to go. However, before I left, figuring she was asleep, I decided to say something that I'd keep preventing myself from saying to her if she was awake.

"Please Honoka, take better care of yourself in the future, it kills to see somebody so special to me hurt." I said gently before I turned away and left the room. I gave my goodbyes to Yukiho, and left Homura, hoping for a quick recovery for Honoka.

Honoka's Perspective

As Y/n left, I could feel my cheeks being super warm. I hadn't completely fallen asleep yet, and so I heard Y/n's words. I'm somebody special to him? I mean I can't say I'm not happy to hear that, but I don't know in what way he means...

----------------------------------------

A/n: Finally, an opportunity to use this event in a way that I'm happier with and am hopefully not gonna quickly regret after publishing. Although I guess I'll find out if I do or not tomorrow...