Chapter three, Dress

"Alice, I hope you don't mind me asking... but why were you crying earlier?" Hatter asked her, they were on their way to the Highttops' house. Alice took in a slow breath. She felt like breaking down and crying all over again, screaming about how unfair Cray was to her. However, she also felt that it would destroy their friendship if she would go on about an ex of hers. So, instead she admitted calmly,

"I had a fiancée... about a month after our engagement, he started cheating on me. I didn't know because I thought my best friend and my boyfriend were finally getting along with each other. I was so happy. But yesterday my best friend told me that she was in a relationship with my fiancée. I couldn't believe it. I immediately broke off my engagement, and shortly after I did, you appeared."

"I'm so sorry Alice..." Hatter whispered, looking down at the floor. Alice took in a slow breath again.

"Really Hatter, I'm ok. I'm just glad to be here, but I've noticed a few odd things since my arrival. Do you think Wonderland is ok?" She asked.

"I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, but we can check on the White Queen, she might know the goings on better than I do. Mind you, the stress of the wedding will be affecting her rulership." He admitted, and shortly after, they arrived outside the upside-down house with a Window for a door, and Doors for windows.

The window was opened by Mr.Hightopp "Alice! What a surprise. Tarrant, my boy, come in." He was smiling, and ushered them inside.

"I don't mean to intrude on your busy wedding plans Farther, but do you think my sister still has that dress of her's that was a tad tighter fitting?" He asked, removing his hat.

"Why yes, I will go fetch it. Please make yourself at home, there is plenty of room on the tables or the ceiling. The family are out at the moment helping the White Queen prepare for her wedding. She's starting to get cold feet, as anyone would the day before their wedding!" He chuckled to himself, and walked up or down the stairs that was neither. Living in an upside-down house is very confusing. There was striped wallpaper on the walls, furniture upside down and the floor was the ceiling. Alice felt so confused as she found a table to sit on, seeing the chairs were turned over.

"Hatter, I don't suppose you know why they chose an upside-down house?" Alice asked, still perplexed by the whole idea.

"No, I don't, and if I'm being honest some days it makes total sense because everything feels upside down in your head. So, your living space is the right way up. But when you're having a day where you feel right side up, your environment just doesn't make sense. So, I'm glad I don't live here on good days."

"That makes sense, but I am having a bad day as you know, and I still feel muddled by this house. So maybe it's best for me to wait outside." She said, and walked out of the window. Nothing made sense, but at least she would have an opportunity to talk to the White Queen before she gets married about all of this. Wonderland was changing, but not in a good way.

Mr. Hightopp came out with the dress, it looked the perfect size for Alice, and she went back inside to try it on. The dress was a rich green colour, with pink accent ribbons and a shawl to match. It looked so pretty, suiting both a red head and a blonde. "I love it." She admitted, and decided to keep the dress on. It was much nicer than the night gown she was in earlier. And surprisingly, very comfortable.