Distracted - Y/N

Time seemed to speed up in those first few days. They blurred together in an endless sea of English lessons with Thor and trying to understand how everything worked in this new world. Everything seemed too simple in this world. Where was the struggle? Where were the challenges? Where was the trials of everyday life that made you feel even more alive as you stood at the edge of death on a daily basis?

I've found myself being drawn into training and sparring with the other women. It's a great past time and something familiar. At least this way I can keep strong, agile and ready for battle. Although it seems unlikely, I will ever need that skill again. I don't have any magical abilities and therefore am useless for their missions that they go on. Perhaps later I might find something, some purpose to this new life. Although Natasha has no magical traits, she is a fearsome warrior and regularly goes on their missions. I am slightly envious of her for that, if only they would trust me.

But here I am training, again with Natasha and River. The only downside is that they still will not allow me any weapons. If only I had a sword or at least a shield, but they are considered outdated, unless you are a man of course, then it's perfectly fine.

The others come and watch us. They are intrigued by my fighting style. Barbarian I think I heard someone call it. Glima is not for the faint of heart. It is not solely about strength, but using your positioning to your advantage to grapple, throw and pin your opponent. We are all taught it as children, it does not matter whether we were boys or girls, we all learnt to defend ourselves, something that seems to have been lost. Now in this world it is all about weapons. Gun's, they call them. Tools used at arm's length and usually as far away as possible. This is not personal, there is no honour to these weapons. Faceless death machines that anyone can wield.

Natasha and River have excellent hand to hand combat skills. They too have their own techniques to overthrow their opponents, even men twice as large. I can not wait to try my skills on one of these men. 

I was grappling with Natasha, showing her my techniques for arm pinning when I felt someone else watching us, someone different. After I had pinned her, I looked up to meet Loki staring down at me. Natasha knew how I felt about him and immediately jumped up to scorn him.

She growled at him, "what are you doing here Loki? Stop lurking around the corner".

He raised his hands in defence, seemingly shocked that he had been caught spying on us.

"Ok. Fine... I was just curious that's all. I wanted to see if Y/N bested you".

I scoffed at him.

"If you want to fight me... just ask. I have no problems fighting a witch".

He had stayed away from me, well at least I hadn't seen him very often since the whole door slamming incident after my first night here. It felt as though he was still around some times, watching me. Almost like he couldn't help himself, like he had a need to be close to me.

He started looking around as though he had heard something off in the distance.

"Erm... I think Thor is calling me so... perhaps another time".

"Whenever you're ready coward".

River laughed from over in the corner of the room. She had been watching mine and Natasha's training for a while, learning my techniques, probably planning on how to beat me. 

Loki turned on his heel and left us to continue. He frustrated me. He was like an enigma, a puzzle that I couldn't solve. One minute he seemed shy and insecure when he was around me, the next he was slamming doors, or huffing as I walked past him. Most of the time I tried to avoid him just as much I think, he was trying to avoid me.