Kaelan - Hubspur Chapter 12

"Today is a day for celebration," Elisaria told him. "Would you help me celebrate?"

"How?"

"You know how," she said, grabbing Kaelan's hand.

"Elisaria," he said, pulling back.

"Please, call me Saria."

"If I weren't in this much pain, I'd probably be tempted."

"Take me to the waterfall, just you and me."

"I thought you were hungry?" he asked her.

"My appetite has been wanting something else that isn't on the menu," she said smiling, pulling him once again. "Let them have the moment, in just a while you'll announce the rest of your plans."

"I don't know," he said, slowly walking with her as she led him toward the gate.

"I'm going to take care of your wounds," she told him. "I know a herb that work wonders."

He nodded while following her to the outside, with a few Red Vest trailing behind them. He led her down a small hill where a narrow pathway sat. A large pool greeted them with a strip of river sitting at the right side. Water rushed from the mountain top, entering the pool that looked almost emerald. He ordered the men to guard the top, leaving them both at the banks. She began grabbing patches of black flowers that sat around the edges. She took two medium size stones, crushing the flower petals in the centre. She took him to the waterfall, washing the ashes from off his back. He kept groaning, while the water fell on his wounds. He closes his eyes and clenches his fist. She left him for a moment, stripping herself naked and taking a swim. He moved away from the waterfall, watching her as she stood under the falling water. His eyes kept falling toward her while she washed the mock from off her skin. She glanced at him, his eyes retreated elsewhere. He couldn't help but stare once again, just as she turned her gaze away. He noticed scars on her back that were more like marks you'd get from being flogged.

"You can ask, if you want?" she said, turning to see him.

"Why?" he asked.

"I refused to carry his child," she admitted. "When I found out I was with child, I took ashes of slumber to rid his bastard from my belly."

"Does the decision hunt you?" Kaelan asked, swimming toward her.

"Every night," she admitted. "I shouldn't have hated my own flesh, but the thought of having another Solace running around in Valtray made me sick."

"A child is never to blame for his parents fault," he said, staring into her eyes.

"No, but they can be tainted if grown by a sick tree," she assured him. "Even though Ryker is old and weak, his bones knows no mercy. Whenever he wanted me, he'd have his men point their spears toward me while we perform what he thought was love."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be," she replied, "we all have suffered, one way or another."

"True, but it doesn't make your story lesser."

"Come," she then said, pulling him along toward the bank after he had done washing himself clean. She took the grinded substance, adding some water to make it less thick. When she began rubbing it in, his groaning was loud. She started laughing as he cried."

"This amuses you," he said, remaining still.

"This is Hubspur," she said, trying her best to dress his entire back. "It burns but it's a small price to pay for results."

"I've seen this around a few places," he said, coughing a few times in pain. "The men always trample them."

"That's because not a lot of people know about them," she told him. "Only few women know. They use it mostly when they've been raped. It heals the wound and restores the tissues."