Saria - Bargain Chapter 26

She rode alongside Damien with an entire day passing them by. She could feel her father's stare fixed on her as he sat at the back of a wagon, trapped inside a metal cage. He felt every stone the wheel bumped into as it rolled forward. He watched the dragon as he was coiled up inside his own cage, he was sitting beside him barely flinching.

 Nestor was alone in the back, walking at a distance that was a bit further than everyone else. She glance back at him, noticing his smile as he counted the coins he had earned for the lies he went along with, for the betrayal he set in motion. A part of her felt sick for what she did, and another part of her was at peace, knowing the price she had to pay was worth it in the end.

 King Algar was silent, he could feel the coldness of the wind setting in, his joints began to ache. She noticed him groaning softly as he kept rubbing his knee caps. He glanced back at her as she too remained quiet. It wasn't long after, that they felt the drizzle upon them with the clouds darkening over them. Damien commanded his men to continue on, ignoring the thunder claps that echoed in the background.

 When the next hour came, heavy rain ensued. It was beating down on the men, causing blisters upon their cheeks and bruises upon their necks. They pulled aside to edge of the road, using shields to protect them as they escorted their Lord to safety. Saria ordered her men to release her father, while also bringing along Windfall. They escorted Algar under a large oak tree, which stood opposite the tree that Damien was taking shelter from. Saria stood by herself under a tree that sat between the two men. She sat on the wet grass, placing the cage upon her lap. Windfall hisses at her, before falling back down. She could see his wings were fractured, there was two small tears above his shoulders, one on each side.

"I want to help you," she said, staring at him as he gazed at her.

"Is he still not healing?" asked Damien, as he brought her pieces of salted pork.

 She took the pieces of meat from his hands, shoving it into the small pockets of the cage. As it fell in front of him, he ate. "If I don't rub ointments upon the wound, he'll catch an infection and die."

"Then what are you waiting for?" he asked. "We need this creature alive. He'll help us bring Empires to their knees, Kingdoms will crumble beneath our feet."

"You mean yours," she said, sternly. "Your legacy, will be paved with blood and death. It's all our son will inherit from you."

"You lecture me about legacy. Weren't you the one who planned on murdering the Kingmaker, for the safety of our child? Where is the rights to Valtray?"

"You have a dragon," she said. "His paper is useless."

"Maybe," said Damien. "I can't wait until my loving sister learns that you've seduced Kaelan, and was even planning to have him killed."

"She doesn't care about him?" Saria replied.

"Is that so?" he said, smiling. "If Amiera doesn't care about something she doesn't meddle. I was informed a while back, that she was sending him whatever he needed in the mines. Does that sound like a woman who doesn't care?"

"It really doesn't matter what she thinks," said Saria. "She's a selfish girl who only cared about herself."

"Are you defending Kaelan?" 

"No," she quickly replied.

"It's alright, I'm not angry my dear wife, our bargain stands. Your sister is a free women. Our son is safe and your father can be considered an ally if he wishes."

"I'll talk to him," Saria swore. "What about your brother?" she asked.

"I can't kill him, he's my brother," said Damien, "I'll just have to think of some form of punishment."