Saria - Nothing Good Ever Last Chapter 29

When the next day arrived, the morning greeted them with a calm cold breeze that brought a scent that smelled like the Kiss of Scent, an orange rose which gave out a sweet smell that lingered on around them. Saria kept staring at the few flowers that sat on the edge of the road, when she attempted to go nearer, there was a sword pointed at her back.

"Where do you you think you're going?" asked Elia.

"Three feet away," Saria replied, not even bothering to turn around.

"You will answer for your crimes," she told her. "You and your husband will pay for the many lives you've ended."

"Am I on trial?" Saria asked, annoyed. "If not, get that sword away from me, or else..."

"Else, what?" asked Elia, as she presses the blade slightly in, releasing a few drops of blood.

"That's enough," said Lord Turick, lowering her blade. "She can't run far if she decided to, the Elementals won't allow it."

Saria left them, limping as she approached the few flowers that stood there. One by one, she pluck them out, crushing the petals in her hands, before rubbing it against her clothes. "Your father wants to see you," said Kaelan, standing behind her.

"Is that all?" she asked him. "Don't you have some insults you'd like to throw my way, don't be afraid to speak your mind." When she turned around, he wasn't there anymore, he was walking back to the wagon where her father sat. There was a few people around him, but when Saria approached the crowd scattered.

"My daughter," he said, crying as he struggled to breathe. "I'm afraid my time with you is limited." As he spoke, he sounded as if he was wheezing, his face seemed pale and drawn out.

"What nonsense are you going on about?" she asked, taking a seat opposite him on the wagon. His neck was wrapped up with cloths that were drenched with black and red substances.

"Those things that are attacked us were Night Dwellers," he explained. "There's no cure for their venom. Before this day ends, I'm told I won't be alive."

"Who told you that?"

"The one in purple," he confesses. "She tells me to speak my mind before it's too late. I love you Elisaria, I just wished I could've seen your sister, to hold her if only just once."

"She's beautiful and stubborn," said Saria, crying as she watched the life fade from his eyes. "Her mind puts mine  and all others to shame. She resembles mother even more than I do."

"The things I'd give to have your mother beside me now," he said softly, his gaze falling out of focus. "What a woman she was, beauty and wits beyond compare."

"You'll see her again, father, and Mikey too. They'll be lucky to have you again."

"He promised me," King Algar whispered. "He's an honorable man."

"What promise?" She asked, shaking him gently. "Who promised?" There was no reply, nor any wheezing anymore. She heard him when he took his last breath, she started shaking him a bit rougher this time, screaming as she hugged him.

Kaelan ordered the men to stop when he heard her cries. The crowd grew silent, they began bowing their heads while following Kaelan and his men as they raised their folded fist. Kaelan's brother in arms started singing an old tune that had more hums than words. Their voices weren't smooth or beautiful, but the melody was wonderful.

"We won't judge you if you go to her," said Arkron. "It's only human to want to comfort the ones we care for."

"She means nothing to me," said Kaelan, staring at her as she started stammering her words. "Release Damien, let him comfort her, he's her family."