Kaelan - A Man of Honor Chapter 30

Kaelan sat beside her, her head rested upon his shoulder as he wrapped his arms over her. They were leaning up against the tree, saying nothing at all. He could hear her breathing was much calmer, and she wasn't crying anymore. He heard footsteps entering the forest, they were far from where they were. As he attempted to rise up, she pulled him back to her, hugging him tighter. She shook her head, crying as the voices came closer.

"Kaelan," Arkron shouted.

He heard laughter coming from them, with Joslin making jokes as he came closer. "What is it?" Kaelan answered, shouting back.

"Someone here wants to see you?"

"It's funny how life works," Saria whispered to him. "I'll soon be gone, and she'll be here keeping you company."

"You thinks it's her?" Kaelan asked her.

"Who else could it be," she said, taking her time as she got up. She fixes her clothes while he did the same. "It's alright if you forget about me, I don't expect you to mourn me or suffer yourself when I'm gone."

"Hey," he said, placing both hands upon her cheeks. "Stop this," he said, wiping off her tears.

"I'm going to die Kaelan, how do you expect me to react."

He nodded his head, then he left her behind the tree, approaching his friends. He saw Windfall sitting upon Arkron's shoulder, letting off a soft screech before flying toward Kaelan. Kaelan laughed as the dragon landed upon his shoulders, Windfall started rubbing up against his face, making soft noises as he does. When Saria came out from behind the tree, he started screeching at her, before lunging at her. Kaelan caught him just as he was about to take flight, he pulls him against his chest before hugging him tight.

"If I have one last request, it'll be that you rename him," she said, forcing a smile. "Name him Hopper, or Darkling, anything that isn't associated with her." When Windfall heard her, he continued screeching before Kaelan started calming him down by cradling him in his arms.

"It's alright," whispered Kaelan, "she doesn't mean that."

"He likes his name," said Joslin.

"Where's Amiera?" he asked, staring at her. "Is she hiding behind that tree?" he hinted at the one behind her.

"Make your jokes while it last," she told him. "Where I'm going there's nothing."

"What is she talking about?" asked Arkron.

"You haven't heard, I'll be sentenced to death, when we arrive in Alcadia."

"That's nonsense," replied Arkron. "If you can't help her then propose sending her to Echalon."

"I'd rather die," she said. "That place wasn't built for women."

"Nor was it built for men," said Kaelan. "That place is only good for wild animals."

"Windfall you mean," she said joking, watching the dragon as he tried escaping Kaelan's arms.

"No," said Kaelan, "you aren't allowed to hurt her." He then gives him back to Arkron, sending him back to the front. Windfall hisses at them, as he watches them embrace each other while heading further away.

"Please don't feel guilty," she said. "I am grateful for the time we had. I did mean what I said when I told you, that you were the one I wanted to have. I haven't been with anyone else since conceiving my son. You made me feel like myself again."

"I can't get over the fact that you lied to me," he said, just before kissing her busted chin and bruised forehead. "I should've known you were lying, the moment you said I was a terrible lover."