Chapter 11 - Hate And Atonement II

(RANDOPLH POV)

To be clear, this country is rotten and I am one of the hidden sinner in the image of a Knight Commander.

It's just appearance.

Today, for example, I was forcibly taken to a brothel so that I could entertain myself after what was considered as a 'long and successful mission'. I hate slavery, but I can't act like a saint. I know what is being destroyed within the country and I have a past that I can never forgive... What can be done with that?

When I came in, I don't want to touch the slave, so I borrowed his bed and told him to let me sleep. The young human I bought was just waiting in a corner... His eyes are brown like his hair, he had a good physique for someone who belonged to the human race and...

I felt like I knew him.

My sins creep all over my body. I pretended to be calm, managed to take off my clothes and transformed into a beast. Since that young man did not try to move, I was able to get close enough to him and discover that he had terrible and scandalous scars on his legs. Looks like his tendons were cut.

I growled.

I was angry with those who performed this scandalous act, but I didn't feel like I had the right to say something about it. I went to sleep and tried not to think about this strange situation anymore... But I began to dream. In that dream, I found out when I first saw this young human. They ordered me to capture some bandits based on the information that the town where they were hiding was a place of the lowest. The town was called Wyatt, deep in the mountains north of Catalton. I had no reason not to believe the report so I just led the troops into the village, circled around it, and crushed it almost effortlessly. But, strangely, the bandits showed no resistance. The house I broke into seems like it was belongs to a dog and some humans who seemed to be his companion and his children. When I turned my sword, their eyes turned into despair and resignation and they let us take them away without a fight... No, only one of them was angry. His eyes were burning. His eyes and facial expressions were etched in my mind for days and nights! They still haven't disappeared from my head. At this point, I know I should have noticed something was wrong. They were completely defenseless, it did not look like a bandit village, those people had no weapons and did not resist at all. Many of the villagers there were human.

When the mission ended and the report was compiled, a friend brought me the information that would ultimately drive me to despair. In the absence of human sex slaves, the slave traders appealed for help from royalty and they obviously ordered the knights to abduct humans and give them to them.

The royal family receives money from human traffickers and everyone knew that. They sold us the idea that village where many humans lived was a village where there were several thieves. In other words, I have captured and enslaved people who are completely innocent.

At the moment I read it, at first, I felt like everything in the report was a lie and then, I discovered that all of them are truth and it hits me back so hard.

But I was not the important people so I can't take back my action.

I ran, trying to free as many people as I could along the way... But it was impossible. The fact that we had taken control of a human village make that village disappeared from the map. Without the help of the state and without any power in my hand, I could not do better for them, much less help them all.

In my dream, the desperate eyes of the villagers were looking at me as if they wanted to kill me.

Then I woke up.

It is a scenario that is repeated over and over again during the nights... But in any case, I did not know if I could classify it as a nightmare or a mere punishment. And now, I was sure that the young man who slept next to me was the same one who looked at me with eyes of hatred at that moment.