Chapter 23 - Friendly Rivallry

The trio met at the Monorail Station as planned, almost missing the last train of the day thanks to Nate having left his bag where he was training. He had quickly run back to get it, only just getting back as the doors closed.

"That was too close," Nate sighed, slumping down in his seat.

Willow rolled her eyes, "That was your fault for leaving your bag behind! What would we have done if you'd missed the Monorail huh? Kyra and I would have been in the pokémon centre all alone worried about you not being with us."

"We probably would have just have to have waited this side for tomorrow, no biggie. But that doesn't matter, we're here now. How'd did your training go by the way?" Kyra replied, curious to hear how her two friends were coming along.

Nate had caught himself a fifth team member in the shape of Heracross, something that Kyra was dreading seeing since she knew it was a Bug Type. Willow now had her fully evolved team, like Kyra's Braixen, her Frogadier had also evovled and the rest of her team had also reached their final evolutions.

"How about you two have a battle tomorrow morning as training for the next Gym?" Nate suggested.

Willow was a little apprehensive, she knew Kyra was in a completely different league of battling compared to her, and although was her friend, she never like to lose. "But Kyra's so much stronger than me, it wouldn't be fair on either of us."

Kyra shook her head, "Strength is subjective. I don't mind either way what you choose, but to be honest, it could do you some good battling against someone you're not too confident with battling. You'd be stronger for trying than just not bothering."

Willow saw sense in what Kyra had said and she agreed to battle her tomorrow. Kyra was glad to have a little rival going in Willow, even if Willow was ultimately looking to be a performer, she was willing to see how Willow battled and learn from it if she could.

The group happily ate and relaxed with one another that evening, being in each other's company was something they always enjoyed. The pokémon got on well with each other on the whole, apart from Lucario and Heracross since she wanted him to stay away from Kyra.

It was a luckily quiet night. No word of Team Flare, nothing to worry about. For once, Kyra and Lucario had a good sleep, psyching themselves up well for their battle against Willow.

"You ready for this?" Kyra asked, her first pokéball already at the ready.

Willow nodded, "Oh we're ready alright. We won't be doing down without a fight. Florges, let's go!"

Kyra was happy to see Florgess as her opponent, after seeing her last night, she worked out that Heliolisk was her best shot besides Lucario who she was saving for Mawile. "Let's go Heliolisk!"

"We'll go first, Florges, use Magical Leaf!" Willow called, making a move.

From what she had seen of Heliolisk yesterday, she knew just how to counter the oncoming attack. "Use Parabolic Charge!"

Heliolisk expanded her frills and sent a yellow sphere of electricity up into the air, having it send out a flurry of yellow bolts. The attacks collided and Heliolisk's electricity stopped the Magical Leafs in their path, just as Kyra had hoped.

"Nice one. Now use Mud Slap!"

Heliolisk whipped her tail around and she sent a splash of mud from the field towards Florges, the rain last night had come in handy.

Florges didn't realise what was happening in enough time to move away, the mud flying into her face and imparing her vision.

"Oh no, Florges, can you still battle?" Willow asked worriedly.