The Guard

I wake up to the sound of a voice near me. Perhaps that means the guards have come for me. That would be amazi- wait, no, it must be the new prisoner. What is he on about? I slowly open my eyes and find myself still curled up in the coat he'd given me. It was the warmest night I've had in this cell, even during the warm months. I look over toward his cell, curious to see what he looks like. I haven't seen anyone except Wroen for a while now. Obi is tall and lanky but I can see decent muscles beneath the long sleeves of his shirt. He isn't wearing a coat like he'd told me he was last night and there's not one in the cell, so he lied about that. I suppose it's forgivable since he wanted me to be warm. He turns toward me and I'm surprised by his eyes. They're golden colored and his pupils remind me of a cat. His expression shifts to shock and I'm sure that it's because of my appearance. I haven't seen myself since the day I was brought in here. I'm glad for that... I don't know if I could handle knowing what I've turned into.

"Please stop staring... I know that I look hideous but if you're stuck with me I'd rather you not spend our time gawking." I mumble and tear my gaze away to the floor.

"I-It's not that at all. I'm sorry for staring, I just- how are you alive? You're so thin."

"I'm not sure. Most days I just pray for death but it never comes." I answer softly. "I haven't seen myself in a long time so I don't even know what I look like."

I hear him falter a few times, trying to come up with something to say, but it dies out as the door at the far end opens and footsteps draw closer.

I press myself further back into the corner of my cell while I wait to see who is coming. I would think Wroen, but he came a few days ago. I just really hope that it's not- Norye. My eyes lock onto Norye's dark brown eyes and flinch automatically. Norye doesn't even pay Obi any mind as he passes his cell and reaches for the key to unlock mine. No... Please no... I used to think his arrival meant my execution date, but I quickly learned it wasn't the case. The old prisoner was led out with two guards for his death anyway. The door opens and slams shut, the noise making me jolt. I find myself trying in vain to press myself further against the wall, praying I'd somehow sink into the cold stone to safety, but his boots appear in my line of sight right before one of his hands grabs hold of a handful of my hair. I'm jerked to my feet harshly and a small gasp of pain leaves my lips. Norye chuckles at it before tossing me to the floor behind him.

"Hey! Leave her alone!"

Obi is trying to be honorable and defend me but there's nothing he can do. I'm trapped with Norye until he's finished 'playing with me' as he calls it. I bite my lip to keep any sound from coming out as I'm picked up and tossed around again. Sometimes he just shoves me around, sometimes he beats me, sometimes he chokes me until I pass out but not long enough to kill me, sometimes... I hope today isn't one of those times.

"Did you get yourself a little lovebird, Leira? He's so defensive of you after just one night." Norye chuckles as he grabs me by the throat and forces me to my feet.

He spins me around so we're facing Obi's cell with him behind me. Obi is furious but I can see the helplessness in his eyes as he looks at me. I mouth to him that it's okay then close my eyes and take a calming breath as Norye's voice growls in my ear.

"I'm going to break your spirit while he watches."

I don't know what that means but I really hope that it's not what I fear it is...

My whole body hurts but at least I was spared from the worst form of torture. I feel bad for Obi as he had to sit and watch as Norye beat and choked me over and over again. He's finally gone though, so I can hopefully get myself to sit up and I can retreat to my corner again.

"I'm sorry you had to see that Obi." I tell him as I sit up and get the world to stop swimming around me.

"How long has that been going on?"

"For a very long time... but it's okay."

"That's definitely not okay. If I could have gotten a hold of him, I-"

"Obi," I spoke softly but it's enough to cut off his brewing rant. "It's alright. I'm alive and I'm not completely alone this time."

Moving sends jolting pain through my body, but I grab his coat from the corner where it was left behind and carefully wrap it around myself. I start to sit in my corner again, but I cast a glance over toward Obi and find myself settling just a few feet closer. It's not much, but that little bit of closed distance makes me feel better. Obi still couldn't reach me even if he tried, so I'm safe, but I don't feel so alone anymore.