Repaying

I wake up in the bed at Wroen's cottage with Mariena asleep beside me. If it weren't for the shooting pain in my back, I could almost pretend that none of the previous day happened. We were brought here after the attack and by then Mariena woke up so we were able to check her out. Besides minor bruising and cuts, she had a slight concussion but she seemed to be alright. Once she was cleared, I sent her into the other room so she wouldn't have to see my stab wound while Obi treated it. Wroen left to inform Prince Raji of the situation and assured me that he wouldn't reveal Obi's involvement. Prince Raji seemed like a kind man, but he really may need to do an internal investigation on his staff. Pryen, Norye, and Eirall were all part of his castle staff and heavily involved in trafficking women and children. All three of them are gone now thankfully and they can't hurt anyone ever again but who knows who else may be involved.

I stretch and pull her closer to me. I gently move the hair out of her face and press a kiss to her head. I can see the bruising on the side of her face disappearing into her hairline. It fills me with an anger I don't think I could ever fully work through. I didn't get to hurt him for hurting her though Obi did it for us. I owe him so much... I hear a quiet knock on the door before it opens to reveal Obi. He looks between Mariena and me before mouthing an apology but I stop him before he can leave. I shift enough to sit up and quietly ask what he needs. He steps into the room and asks how we're doing.

"Well, I am doing just about as well as I can be since I got stabbed." I chuckle. "She woke me up earlier complaining about the blankets so I am assuming she's alright."

"I'm glad you're okay. I'm sorry I should have gotten there earlier."

"No, you did great. Thank you for your help with everything. I owe you so much."

"You don't owe me anything."

"Obi, you saved our lives so many ti-"

He holds up a hand to silence me and sighs. "How about this? I know how you can repay me, but if you agree to my terms, we're completely even after that."

"What is it?"

"Let me take you out to dinner when I return."

"Return?" I know he was talking about leaving after the castle visit, but I don't think I like that thought. "Where are you going?"

"I have some more traveling to do. How do you expect me to tell you more of my adventures if I don't go explore?" He grins. "Don't worry though, I'll be safe and I won't be gone for too long."

"As long as you're safe." I sigh.

"You never agreed to or denied my terms, Leira. So, what will it be?"

"I think I'd be okay with that." I smile at the shocked but happy look on his face. "When are you leaving?"

"I'm leaving tonight. It's a lot easier for someone like me to travel through the shadows."

"You sound so mysterious when you talk like that."

"Am I not?" He winks and I roll my eyes.

I carefully settle on the wooden swing hanging on Wroen's back porch with a glass of whiskey and happily sigh. I spent most of the day with Mariena and making plans with Wroen. While I appreciate his offer to let us stay here permanently, I would like to have a place for me to raise Mariena on my own soon. We'll stay here until I'm able to get a job after I'm healed. After that I'm going to look for a place to let. We just finished dinner and at Mariena's insistence we came out here to relax while she played in the yard. Obi asks if he can join me and I shuffle to one end to make room. Wroen has a late shift at the prison thanks to the sudden staff loss so it's just the three of us until Obi leaves.

"So, when are you leaving?"

"Well, I had intended on leaving when she went to sleep, but with Wroen gone, I will wait for him to come back. I don't want to leave the two of you alone after what happened."

"I appreciate the sentiment, but those that harmed us are dead and you can't exactly avoid the two of us being alone at some point... especially when I can finally get a place of my own."

"Fine... Just promise me you'll take care of yourselves. I can't exactly spring you out of prisons or shimmy through windows every day, you know?"

"I'll promise if you promise to come back."

"Well, what good is a Lord if he doesn't come back to visit the Lady?" He grins.

"You'll never let that go, will you?"

"Not a chance in Hell."

"Mr. Obi! Mommy! Look what I found!"

I look up to find Mariena rushing toward us with her hands cupped together. The last time she did it, she brought me a rather large, disgusting spider.

"If it's another spider, I will ground you until you're sixty." I mumble as I sip my drink, earning a laugh from Obi.

"No, it's a frog! Isn't he cute?"

I kiss Mariena's head and pull the cover up over her before quietly leaving the room. It took a lot of convincing, but I got Obi to accept that Mariena and I will be alright for the rest of the night if he wanted to leave. I leave the room and find him leaning against the far wall. His golden eyes meet mine and I can't help but feel a bit of sadness that he's going away. It's strange, but I think I've grown attached to him. It's not just because he saved me either. He's the only person I've ever felt this happiness and contentment with, the only man that's ever made me feel safe except for Wroen.

"You're staring at me... Is there something on my face?" He asks and I shake my head.

"I-I just... I'm going to miss you. Even though you're pretty annoying, I think I've grown attached to you."

"Hm... You know, that sounds like you like me." He smirks.

"I don't know if I'd go that far."

"That's a shame then cause I know someone that likes you too but if you don't have feelings for them then-"

"Shut up." I roll my eyes, then stumble as he pulls me into his arms.

"I'm going to miss you too, Leira." He whispers as I rest my head on his chest. "I'll come back as soon as I can, I promise."