Lord And Lady

Wroen didn't come back as we'd hoped, but at least we were able to eat. Currently, I'm sitting up against the wall near the bars separating me from Obi as he tells me more stories from the outside. I still don't know what Obi really does- did for a living before he came here, but it's sounding more and more like it was on the darker side of life. He doesn't seem like a bad guy though. I told him I wanted to hear anything that he could think of from the outside because I hadn't been out in the world for ten years.

Right now, it's about a criminal group called The Pack. He says their base is behind a waterfall and they all use animal masks to cover their faces and use the names to go by. It sounds so otherworldly but fascinating. Their leader is a woman who goes by Rabbit with her two right hand men, a set of twins with fox masks. I don't think I could really be a criminal, but I wish that I had been strong and confident like she must be. Perhaps then I wouldn't be here. If I wasn't here though, would I ever get to meet Obi? I quite enjoy his company.

"Tell me something about your life before the cell."

"I- uh, there's really not much to me, Obi." I mumble quietly.

"Nonsense, you lived before you were sent here so there must be something, even if it's small."

I think for a moment before sighing and deciding to just tell him the truth of who I was.

"Well, it's nothing good really, but I grew up in a poor family and once we completely ran out of money, my parents sold me. I was nine when I was sold and it only took a few weeks before the man who bought me sold me into a slavery auction. The man who bought me from the auction was the man you killed. He used me as a concubine, which eventually led to Mariena's birth. He let me keep her and I spent the last five years protecting her from him and the others. I was so scared he would drag her off to the auctions or give her to one of his friends. He had a party one night and when I went up to put Mariena to bed, I found Norye's brother trying to take her dress off and I snapped and pulled him out of the room and killed him. Master got mad and here I am over a year later..."

"I wish I could have killed him years ago." Obi finally chuckles before sighing. "I'm so sorry that's the life you had to live."

"It could have been worse I suppose. I did not want to be- used- like that, it was a nightmare, but Master didn't beat me very often and he dressed me in nice clothing. I got my daughter from it and I got my first friend in Wroen... and I got to meet you."

"Aw, I feel special, meeting me was as nice as being given nice clothes." He snickers and I laugh.

"I think I'd rank you a little higher than the clothes."

He fake gasps. "I'm better than fancy clothes? I feel like at this point I should be considered a king, a lord at the least."

"Fine, you can be Lord of Prison Cell Three." I shoot back.

"If I'm Lord of Prison Cell Three, then what does that make you?"

"Lady of Prison Cell Four?"

"Ah, that makes sense." He chuckles before we fall into a comfortable silence. "You know, I still don't want to stay here and wait for a death that may not come, but I'm glad I met you. You've made my imprisonment rather pleasant."

"I'm not as scared with you here." I admit quietly.

"Well, I'm not leaving without you and I won't let them take you."

I jump slightly at something touching my hand. I can't see it, but I quickly realize it's his hand gently holding mine through the bars. I squeeze lightly and he squeezes back in response.

When I wake up, I can feel my hand still in Obi's, but there's something touching my hair. It takes a moment, but I recognize it as his fingers running through it much like I'd done for Mariena ever since she was born. My hair is a nightmare. It stopped being oily months ago as the dehydration really set in. Now it's just really dry. It feels nice though, having him do this. It's a level of comfort I never thought I'd get to experience. I don't even want to move now, but I can hear the door open at the end of the hall. Hopefully it's Wroen with information on what's going to happen to me now that Master is dead. I sit up slowly but keep my hand in his since it seems to let me stay calm. My heart drops as Norye strolls in with a smug grin on his face that only widens when he sees our interlocked hands.

"Now isn't this just precious?" He croons. "I knew it wouldn't be long before you got attached to him. Once a whore, always a whore right Leira?"

"Fuck off." Obi growls as his grip tightens on my hand.

"You shut up, Boy. This has nothing to do with you."

"If he tries to hurt you, get him as close as you can to the bars on my side, okay?" Obi whispers to me and I nod slightly.

I take a deep calming breath as I brace myself for whatever is to come, since he's unlocking my cell door now. I don't know what Obi has planned but I'm going to try to do what he asked. Maybe I'll survive this...