Chapter Forty-Four: Lady of Mirkwood

Thalia groaned slowly starting to wake up, her entire body ached and she knew that something was wrong since she seemed to be laying in the most comfortable bed in the world. 

Opening her blue eyes confused, Thalia swallowed dryly looking around only to find a she-elf standing just across the room watching her closely so the blonde didn't pull out any of her stitches. 

"I am glad to see you awake Lady Thalia," the she-elf said bowing her head, she had been worried that the blonde had lost a lot of blood when she had been brought back by the hunting party. 

Thalia blinked confused about how the elf knew her name, she had never seen her before and she doubted that it had anything to do with her recent trip to Rivendell. 

"How did I get here?" Thalia asked carefully as she sat up slowly, her leg burned slightly but she knew that it wasn't something that she couldn't fix when she found some water. 

The last thing that Thalia remembered was her fighting back against David before everything went black, she just hoped that she hadn't told the elves anything about Thorin and the company while she had been unconscious. 

"You were rescued by me cousin," said another voice making Thalia turn to see a pale woman with a dark pixie cut watching her amused, she couldn't help but have a feeling that she had found Paloma. 

The brunette chuckled as she gazed at the blonde, she knew that she had been expecting both her cousins to arrive at the same time but she hadn't held much hope on Cornelia holding her temper. 

"Lady Paloma," the she-elf said bowing gracefully in respect, she hadn't been expecting the daughter of Zeus to make an appearance like this; she had hoped for time to prepare the blonde before visitors came.

"Leave us," Paloma said staring at Thalia, she had a feeling that she and this cousin would get along just fine; she didn't seem to be anything like Cornelia who had started fighting with everyone for no reason. 

The she-elf nodded her head as she hurried out of the room leaving Paloma alone with Thalia, the demigods had a lot to discuss and they didn't need her around. 

"What happened to David?" Thalia asked as Paloma walked over to a jug of water and poured it into the bowl knowing that her cousin would use it to heal herself. 

There was little point in denying that they weren't gifted especially since Thranduil was more than pleased to have the demigods on his side and locked away from the dangers of Middle Earth. 

"Rotting in jail where he belongs," Paloma said bored setting the water down beside Thalia, she knew that her cousin would be able to heal herself and that the king would want to meet the new arrival sooner rather than later.

***

Thalia smoothed out the medieval black and blue taffeta dress that she was now wearing, she knew that no one could know that she was courting Thorin but she felt at ease wearing his colours. 

Thalia doubted that the elves even realised why she had wanted to wear the colours, they had no doubt passed it off as something to do with the fact that she was the daughter of Poseidon. 

Thalia was wearing a set of bronze flat shoes on her feet which were hidden completely under her dress, she didn't know what they were thinking but she had just gone along with it. 

Paloma walked beside her as they headed for the throne room where Thranduil was waiting to meet Thalia; he had been thrilled at her arrival and knew it was a blessing upon his house to have to demi-gods with him. 

"I have questions," Thalia said glancing at her cousin, she hadn't forgotten what David had said about her parentage and she wanted to know what was going on and if his words had been true. 

Paloma sighed glancing at Thalia, she knew that her cousin deserved answers but right now she was not the person to give them to her; she would have to wait for them. 

"Later," Paloma said signalling to the guards who stepped aside allowing the two demigods into the throne room where Thranduil and his son were waiting for them.

"My Lord may I introduce my cousin, Lady Thalia daughter of Poseidon," Paloma said walking forward with a smile, she ignored the look that she got from Tauriel as she strolled past the she-elf as she left. 

Tauriel looked far from happy about something and completely ignored Thalia as she passed, she didn't want to stick around and watch knowing what was going to happen now. 

"It is a pleasure to meet you Lady Thalia," Thranduil said stepping down from his throne, his blue eyes lingered on Thalia as he moved towards her gracefully. 

Thalia nodded her head brushing she brushed some hair from her face, a horrible chill crept over her as she looked at Thranduil; there was something about him that she really didn't like. 

"The pleasure is mine," Thalia replied quietly watching Thranduil warily, she didn't trust him and she knew that she had a lot of thinking to do; she didn't want to hover around more than she needed to. 

Thalia wasn't going to stay and hoped to leave to seek out the company as soon as possible, they had a quest to finish and she was proud to be a part of it. 

"It's a shame you aren't wearing Mirkwood colours but never mind," Thranduil said tightly, he knew those colours anywhere and he was curious about why Thalia had chosen them; he didn't believe in coincidences. 

Thalia swallowed nodding her head, she didn't like the way that had sounded nor Paloma's nod; she would never trade in Thorin's colours as long as they were courting.

"I look forward to learning more about you Lady Thalia, you are very much a mystery to me," Thranduil said smiling at Thalia, he wasn't going to allow this opportunity to slip away from him and he only needed one more demigod to complete his collection. 

Thalia frowned a little at his wording, she didn't like how he was talking about her as it reminded her of someone talking about a prize they had won and not a person; there was clearly something dark about the elven king before her. 

"Paloma will show you to your rooms, I trust that they will be comfortable for your everlasting stay," Thranduil said spotting a couple of guards waiting to speak with him, he knew it had to be important and he hated to cut his talk with Thalia short. 

Thalia blinked confused at his words, she wasn't going to be staying and she wasn't sure where he thought that she would be staying. 

Paloma nodded her head acknowledging the dismissal before she moved to usher Thalia from the room, she knew Thranduil was a busy king and he would spend more time with her cousin when he could. 

Thalia frowned following after her cousin, she didn't know what was going on in Mirkwood but she didn't like it; she had a feeling that there were things that she was missing and Thalia was sure that while she recovered she would discover what was going on. 

Thalia wouldn't trust any of the people around her including her own cousin while she was in Mirkwood; there was something going on in the woods of Mirkwood.