The team

I circled back to the direction of the common room, I followed the scent of dirt and blood through the halls all the way to where I know my new team would be.

This is always the worst part for me, meeting the team. It doesn't matter what I've done and where I've been, I have always worked alone, having a team gets you killed, makes you vulnerable and most importantly, it makes you weak.

Whoever my partner Blake Hayes is, I couldn't give a care in the world, I refused to work with a partner, but to be working with a stone-cold, bad-tempered Alpha wolf? Now I know why they kept it all hushed when I asked who I'd be partnered with before I flew to NY.

I make it back to the common room and hear chatter, I waste no time thinking about turning around and walking away, I open the door and walk through, making those in the room instantly stop talking and look in my direction.

Four people, all wolves I'm suspecting from their overwhelming stare, one of the four was my partner, who was the only one glaring at me, whilst the other three, two guys and a woman simply stared in curiosity at me.

"You must be Agent Blaine, I heard a lot about you." The female wolf said, friendly with a smile.

She gets up from the sofa and holds her hand out to shake, which I accept warily and shake her hand. "That's me, and you are?"

Her brows raise. "Oh." She laughs. "I'm Kate, I look forward to working with you, your reputation is admirable." She says.

I smile politely and see from behind Kate that the other two male wolves stand up.

"You must have a death wish to come and work here." One of them says, the guy with blonde shaggy hair and piercing blue eyes. "I'm Leon."

I shake his hand and smile. "Nice to meet you, I hope I'm not intruding."

Blake scoffs from the sofa whilst the other male wolf gives him a look of disapproval, the other male wolf stands up and comes towards me, and all I can think of is how tall he is, taller than any wolf I've seen.

"I'm Wayne, I'm Kate's partner." He introduces himself and then points his thumb behind his back aiming at Blake. "I suppose you've already met Hayes."

I stop myself from rolling my eyes and smile tightly. "I've met him, he was very welcoming."

The others smile with a twinkle in their eyes like they know something I don't and I can't help but feel uncomfortable with the way they're staring directly at me, something I'm used to, but not from those I plan to work with.

The doors open behind me and I see Brett enter, his eyes finding me instantly then he looks to the team, giving them a nod.

"I see you've all met special agent Lorelei Blaine. She will be joining the Nest starting today, I hope you all treat her equally." He says as he stares down each and every one of the team members.

I feel like I'm the new kid and Brett just walked me to class, it pisses me off beyond anything but I don't want to lash out at him here, as far as I'm aware the team doesn't know about my relationship or past relationship with their team leader, and I will keep it that way.

"Yup." Leon says, sharing a look at Eric. "You didn't mention she was human."

"No, he didn't." Blake announces out loudly, with irritation in his voice as he keeps glaring at me.

I want nothing more than to punch him in the face, I have been inside the headquarters less than an hour and I am already being judged for my ability to be here, just because I'm not some super creature and simply human.

I was about to speak but the door opens and Eric strolls in with a doughnut in his mouth, and from the look on his face, I'd say he just realized he walked into a room full of tension as his eyes travel around the room before landing on mine.