IV: Babysitter

WHEN YOU THOUGHT that things couldn't get worse, life surprised you. Maddy keeps coming home late at night and refuses to tell you where she's been all day. And she keeps on leaving Mia at your parent's house. Occasional trips were alright, but Mia having to spend a whole week. Day after day there isn't suitable. 

Mia is at the age where she's beginning to realize things and think and compose thoughts that matter. Sooner or later, you feared she might recognize the weight of what your and her mother's actual relationship is. You'll do anything to preserve her innocence, the way you wanted someone to protect yours when you were her age. 

So you sat there in the dark of the living room, in the middle of the night, even though you had work in the following hours. There could be no more waiting; you had to talk to Maddy.

Suddenly, you heard the rustle of the front door. The doorknob swiveled as you presumed Maddy was drunkenly trying to open the locked door. You took a deep breath to calm the onset of annoyance, threatening to spill. You took slow steps to the door, agonizing when you let your wife back into the home.

Sometimes you wish she'd disappear with whoever she's out all day with. But Mia would be heartbroken, and you'd be lost without Maddy's parenting. She is terrible now, but you know that the family's rock was Maddy. So you held the frantic doorknob in your hand and twisted it open.

Dark brown eyes looked up at you in shock. "You're still awake." It wasn't a question. It was an observation. She knew what was about to go down. You never waited for Maddy, not in the three years you've been married.

"Yes. Obviously." You took a steadying breath as you put a hand to your temple, trying to ease the already forming pressure there.

"Why?" Maddy walked in and directly sat on the couch. She crossed her legs as she watched you stare back at her.

"Leaving Mia every day isn't suitable, Madeleine." Maddy's eyebrows formed a 'v' as her eyes squinted at you. She crossed her arms, and you could already feel the impact of your words.

"So what am I supposed to do? Just sit and wait for you to come home? Doing God knows what and take care of our daughter without a damn break?" She stood up, walking toward you. She was dangerously close as you felt her hot breath tainted with alcohol fan your face.

"Isn't that what stay-at-home mothers do? Or did I not get the memo that they changed it?" You sneered back. Maddy had so desperately wanted to be at home all day, every day. What was she going about now?

"Everyone needs a break." She replied, leaving no room for discussion. She picked up her handbag that she let fall on the side of the couch and threaded upstairs.

You instantly kicked the nearest thing close to you, which happened to be Maddy's shoes. The steady flow of anger was getting stronger now, so you steadied yourself—willing your anger to calm before you followed Maddy upstairs.

When you reached the inside of your and Maddy's room, Maddy was trying to remove her dress. The straps of the fabric proved to be a little too tricky to pull for an intoxicated Maddy. You scoffed as you neared her. She gave you a side-eye before she allowed you to help her.

"Jesus, I'm not going to hurt you, Maddy."

"Could have fooled me." She mumbled so loudly it was impossible for you not to hear.

"When have I purposely hurt you, Madeleine?" You said, and you watched that little 'v' return to her brows at the mention of her full name.

"When you left me that night." She said as she faced you. The strap of her dress fell as she turned around.

You couldn't keep your eyes from looking down as Maddy's nakedness was in complete form. She wasn't wearing a bra, and her panties were so thin that they barely covered anything.

"I hated you so much that night," Maddy took a step towards you, erasing the distance between you and her. Her arms swayed to your neck and stayed there as she massaged the side of your neck. "but you did awaken something inside me."

She licked the shell of your ear as she whispered, "I just knew I couldn't lose you." She bit your earlobe so harshly that you backed away from her.

"What the fuck?!" You held your ear and were relieved to see that there was no blood. Maddy shrugged as she climbed into bed. "Don't fuck with me, Y/N. As for Mia, I got a babysitter."

You shook your head as you climbed into the bed. "Without consulting me first?" You harshly pulled the covers to your neck as you faced the other way from Maddy.

"I am the man of this house. Just because you work for us doesn't mean you get to make all the decisions. Plus, I know this girl. My mom knows her mom."

You closed your eyes as you willed sleep to overtake you. The knowing that Maddy was beside you irritated you to a fault. Good thing you took a few sleeping pills before you confronted Maddy.

You needed all the rest you could get. For sure, tomorrow, as early as the sun rose, Maddy would already be out of the house. And you were putting in all bets that you had to greet the babysitter when she came by later, meaning you had to miss a day at work. Thanks a lot, Maddy.