30 | LOVE

IT NEVER HURT TO SEE HIM WITH HER BEFORE.

[ 5

[ 5.14 ]

It was the grand re-opening of the Bronze after Olaf demolished it. This time around, the support beams holding up the upper level were much stronger. The club was packed with people, and a band was playing on the brand new, much fancier stage.

Xander and Anya were out on the dancefloor, as well as Tara and Willow. The girls had pulled Teddy along with them. He wasn't much for dancing — and he was also very bad at it, something he had in common with Kitty — but it was fun to watch him clumsily twirl Willow and Tara around to the upbeat song. Buffy and Kitty were sitting at a table, taking a break from the dancing to eat some snacks as they watched the others.

"Bleedin' crime, is what it is." Both Kitty and Buffy looked up as Spike came over, taking a seat next to Kitty. He set his beer on the table. "Jackin' up the bar price to pay for fixin' up this sinkhole. Not my fault insurance doesn't cover act of troll."

Kitty bit her lip to keep from laughing at the look on Buffy's face. There was a reason she and Spike didn't hang out when the others were around. It was because they hated him and would often sport the annoyed look Buffy was wearing now. She didn't know what he was thinking, sitting with them.

What he was thinking was totally Joyce's fault, by the way. When she gave Spike that relationship advice, she recommended he try to play nice with the rest of the gang, knowing how important they all were to Kitty. She'd be desperate for them to like anyone she was in a relationship with.

"Gee, maybe it's time you found a new place to patronize," Buffy said, continuing to eye Spike with disinterest.

But Spike didn't pick up on her attitude. He leaned back in his chair while casually slinging an arm over the back of Kitty's chair. "I've half a mind to! Especially since the flowering onion got remodeled off the sodding menu. 'S the only thing this place had going for it."

"Oh, not the onion," Kitty said, looking over her shoulder at the snack counter with a frown. "I can totally talk Carson into putting it back. BRB."

Once Kitty was gone, Buffy expected Spike to get up and follow her like he always did. But he met her eye and nodded, if not a bit awkwardly.

"So... how has your day been?" Spike asked slowly, doing his best to not grimace.

"What are you doing?" Buffy asked, frowning.

"Wha-what do you mean what am I—"

"Here? At this table? Talking to me. Like we're some kind of talking buddies," she specified flatly. "Kitty left. She's the only one that ever wants to talk to you."

"Well, you're her friend. Figured it wouldn't hurt to be friendly with her friends," he said, shrugging. Buffy raised an eyebrow accusingly. She didn't want him to be friendly with her. Spike rolled his eyes and got up. "Suit yourself!"