The Mask He Wears

Karou compares Kojiro's real personality, to the one he shows the world.
—————

To all the other residents of Waialua, Joe is an energetic, outgoing, and extroverted man with a bright smile and positive attitude. He's an amazing dad, always happy to lend a hand whenever he can, loves to talk and make friends, and is just an overall flamboyant person.

To Karou, Kojiro Nanjo is a shy, nervous introvert who was, at one point in time, afraid of absolutely everything.

Karou fondly remembers the flustered, blushing teenager who'd asked him out in high-school, green bangs flopping into his face as he'd stumbled helplessly over his words.

He oftentimes can't help but compare these two people, Kojiro and Joe, so different but yet the same person.

He thinks about Joe, the loud man who'd once tried to skateboard in heels on a dare from Reki, the guy who attracts everyone's attention, men and women alike when he walks down the street.

He thinks about Kojiro, his Koji, the guy who flushes red all the way from his shoulders to his cheeks every time Karou compliments him, and the shy teenager who'd given him a box of homeade chocolates on Valentine's Day.

That's the man lying next to him right now in bed, the soft, cuddly Kojiro who'd wrapped his arms around Karou's waist and buried his face in his neck as he slept peacefully. The man who wakes Karou up with warm smiles and kisses, and is so gentle with him, almost like he was made of precious glass.

Don't get him wrong, Karou loved both of them, Kojiro and Joe. He was happy that Kojiro was happier with himself, and feeling more confident in terms of his physical appearance, and his mental health.

If you were to ask him if he had a favorite, Karou wouldn't be able to answer, because honestly, he thinks both are perfect.

——————

[A/N: So, this was basically just a character study, but I did enjoy writing it! What do you guys think?]