Chapter Twenty-Six: It's Always Been You

|Shawn|

Mid 1998

The day he came to collect Kat's things, her older brother stared me down on my doorstep. His fists were clenched so tightly they were turning red. I wanted him to hit me. I deserved it. I could let out my own anger, even. I braced myself for impact... that never came.

"Shane, leave him alone," Stephanie said, appearing from behind him. "He's not worth it." I couldn't determine if the look she gave me was out of disgust, pity, or both.

They made themselves at home. I tried to stay out of the way as much as possible. I was pretty doped up, anyway. That was the only way to stop the rush of emotions. I kept myself drugged to the point of not knowing what was a dream and real anymore. It was the only way I could get through my physical pain and the pain of losing her.

This day meant it was really over. They were taking all her stuff. Everything that reminded me of Kat.

Stephanie filled boxes with her clothes, jewelry, and accessories. Shane lifted them out to the car. She moved on to decorations.

Box after box was packed with everything that made my house feel like a home. Finally it seemed like they were done, when Stephanie noticed the photo on the mantle.

It was the one of me, Kat, and Paul in New York. It was the only one I had left.

"Don't," I objected, as she reached for it. She froze; it was the first thing I had said all day. "Please, Steph. Please... let me keep one. That's all I ask." Having to beg her made me feel like shit. I let them come into my house and walk all over me. I couldn't let her take everything.

She dropped her hands. "My friends call me Steph. My name is Stephanie," she said coldly.

We stared at each other for a long moment, and I knew what she thought of me. Pathetic.

Shane walked back in, ready to carry out another load. His eyes were glued to me, like they had been since he arrived. It was like he was waiting for me to fuck up. "Is that it?"

"That's all of it," Stephanie answered. "Let's go, Shane."

Shane was taller than her, and walked faster. I caught up with Stephanie before she crossed the threshold. I was unfortunately sobering up, and my feelings for Kat were rushing back in.

"Has Kat... Said anything... Has she..." I couldn't even form a proper question in my state.

Stephanie gave me another pity look. "She's not coming back, Shawn. You need to move on." With that, she turned on her heel and left.

I was left with an empty house and an empty heart.

***

Kat wore the same dress she wore on one of our first dates. I wondered if she even noticed. I did, of course. It was her favorite shade of baby blue, and complimented the bracelet I gave her for Christmas.

We stepped into my home, which she hadn't been into in years. Not since everything went down between us.

We were already in Texas, so it just made sense for us to stay here for the weekend. It was more convenient, cheaper, and definitely more comfortable than a hotel room.

I had gone over to Kat's house a few times now, to spend time with her and Scottie. Despite that, it still felt odd having her come to mine. Probably because we shared this house at one point, and Kat's house in Florida was more neutral ground.