Chapter 35. MASQUERADE.

"OH MY, WHAT ON EARTH HAPPENED TO YOUR HAIR?!" SILVANNA'S SQUEAL SEEMED TO RUPTURE THE TRAIN CARRIAGE, HIGH ENOUGH TO PIERCE GLASS. Thankfully, that didn't happen, for Silvanna would have a lot more to worry about than covering the tiger stripe scars on Edith's legs and her short hair.

"I... uh... Do you like it?" Edith cringed. When she told Johanna to cut her hair; she really, well cut her hair. It was a bit jaggered but once Silvanna curled her locks no one would know. Her brunette hair rested in layered waves below her ear; just thick enough to spout out in a poofy blow out. Compared to her long, straight, slick hair that often rested in tight buns or a long braid: her image was certainly different. But she really hadn't thought about what the Capitol would think until the saccharine sweet shriek of Silvanna Rome alerted everyone in Panem of her haircut.

"Like it? I love it! Oh my, this is perfect!" She squealed again, tussling Edith's hair. The Victor scrunched up her nose, a waft of petunia and cake frosting itching the inside of her nose.

"What do you mean perfect?" Edith spilled out, finally realising her response.

"Well it certainly fits with tonight's theme does it not?" Silvanna poked. Edith scrunched her nose even further.

"What? Because Johanna got her hair cut in the arena? Is that an unannounced theme?" Edith sighed, disapointed she had accidentally forfilled the wishes of the Capitol.

"You are absurd, no darling don't you know? Oh I suppose the invitation didnt get to you in time. Hmm, I really must start calling you on these things..." Silvanna trailed off, already making her way to the dress bag Edith had been too scared to peak at. It seemed bulky, as if she even touched it, the contents would explode. Her recent dresses hadn't been the most... comforting. Since she can't show her legs, the designs seemed to cling to her body - 'like a second shadow' Silvanna dubbed it. On the more extreme dresses Edith quite thought she looked like a too tight sock built for exposing her breasts to the world.

Edith's fingers drummed on her pant leg to the rhythm of Silvanna's slow steps. Before her gloved fingers could drum into skin Edith bounced up storming up behind, biting the bullet.

"Silvanna? What's happening with the Capitol's Victor party?"

"Oh its going to be so fun! Nothing to worry about, as you might remember everyone was wearing red last year to commemorate your scars..."

Edith nodded, reluctant at the memory, she instinctively pulled her cardigan around herself.

"Well, this year everyone and anyone important is wearing green, you know, the colour of District 7, that's not really forced but its encouraged. But, there is an actual theme this year! Since Miss Mason was so adept at using a mask to hide her true self in the arena, this year's ball is a masquerade!"

A spark glittered in her chest, the world fizzing and bubbling in a dreamy glow. Edith immediately softened, falling into another chair.

With no scars on show, a different dress, a Capitol accent and my new hair cut; I'll be just another masked guest.

I'll be invisible.

"That sounds delightful Silvanna! Can I see my dress and mask?" Edith beamed, already practising her prim and proper pronunciation of vowels that she'll have to adopt to rid herself of 8's distinct accent.

Silvanna grinned wildly at her increased enthusiasm; immediatly passing Edith a dressbag and a box before shoving her giddily into the carriage bathroom. Edith could still hear a muffled, piercing squeal from behind the door.

Carefully she unzipped the bag the best she could with both of her pointer fingers crossed. And by the sight of an embroidered corset and a puffy, forest green ballgown she nearly fainted.