{5}: "Alternate Universe"

For the first time in a long time, Rex felt like he had gotten the perfect sleep.

There were no wild dreams, or nightmares. He felt more energized and calm. He assumed it was because of his time off work.

Which Rex needed more than he'd like to admit.

Whatever the case might have been, he enjoyed the comfort. It was something he very rarely felt.

He planned to open his eyes, wanting to see Marie. Her amazing beauty, and sweet smile made his entire morning.

His heart became warm at the thoughts of her gentle laughter, and the sparkles in her eyes that reminded him so much of starlight.

Rex kept his eyes closed for just a while longer, and instead slid his arm across the soft bed sheets, reaching for his wife.

However, he did not feel her. The space beside him was empty. There would be no cuddling, or touching. Marie wasn't there.

Something didn't feel right after that. He didn't even sense her presence. There was simply nothing.

Unless it was the occasional midnight insomnia, Marie was never up and awake without him.

Rex's sleepy expression shifted, and he opened his eyes slightly. It was then that he realized his surroundings were completely different.

Through his tired eyes, he didn't see the dark blue color of Rexcelsior. Instead he saw a bright yellow floor, and walls of a pale mint green color.

A bit of sunlight shone on everything. Though, it appeared to be coming from the front of the bed.

Rex groaned, blinking. He observed the wall in front of him, having a clear view.

It had a hockey poster. A very familiar one. He very slightly lifted his head.

"Huh?"

He jumped, fully awake when the sound of an alarm clock echoed throughout the room.

That was weird, because Rex didn't need an alarm clock anymore. There was no early morning routine for work.

Rex looked to his right, seeing a very familiar alarm clock on a bedside table. He reached out, turning it off.

While doing so, he noticed the details of his pajamas. They were no doubt his old ones, from way before Syspocalypstar.

With everything finally processed, Rex looked around, seeing that he was in his old apartment. In Bricksburg, a city long destroyed.

He could hear the chaotic traffic, and the chatter of the many citizens from outside the nearby window.

The sounds of a city in the early morning had become a stranger to him.

After staring mindlessly, he realized his situation. He laughed it off, in pure disbelief of what was happening.

"I'm still dreaming. Yeah. You won't trick me this time, mind. This is just too obvious. Think of something better next time."

He lay back down, closing his eyes. He assumed that if he went back to sleep, he would wake up in Rexcelsior.

He would see Marie, and his raptors. There would be no worries about anything. He would be happy.

However, Rex was no longer tired. He was terrified.

He once again sat up, observing the apartment once again. "No, this is impossible. This can't be anything else but a dream."

With nothing else coming to mind, Rex pinched himself.

"Ow." He rubbed his wrist, "Okay...this is real. This is real! What?! Huh?! Why?!"