{9}: "Virtual"

Marie hummed to herself, as she walked through Rexcelsior. She had finished her share of chores, and caught up on some afternoon reading.

Rex had woken up early that morning to do something at the palace that required his assistance.

Since he had arrived home a while ago, she wanted to hang out with him since her 'to-do' list was fully cleared out.

"Honey." She called out, peeking into the living room.

To her surprise, Rex had fallen asleep on the couch. He had a genuine peacefulness to his expression.

He was exhausted from work, and now that he was home, he felt comfortable enough to take a nap.

Marie smiled, and stepped into the room.

She cleaned up the area, before laying down with Rex. Surprisingly, the couch was big enough for both of them to fit.

Rex shifted, and gently wrapped his arm around her. Even if he was half asleep, he knew it was her.

The Princess was in pure bliss, as she touched his arm. "I love you too, Honey."

She looked towards the television, noticing that the news was on. The volume was loud enough for her to hear, but probably didn't bother Rex.

"Everyone is talking about it!" The announcer spoke, "The newest gaming system by UltraTech is game changing! Most literally! This new equipment transports your consciousness directly into the online game of 'Virtual'."

"That sounds kind of scary." Marie whispered, "But then again, I'm not much of a gamer. I wouldn't know what's good."

It was true that Marie rarely played video games. The only ones she ever really tried to play were the arcade styles ones in Rex's game room.

Even then, she was never as good as Rex. He seemed like a professional.

She was definitely more of a 'reading with a fresh cup of tea' vibe. More calming, less competitive.

"Technology like this has been in development for years, and currently thousands of players are joining." The new reporter spoke.

"Now you might be asking, what type of game is 'Virtual'." Another one continued, "It's in the format of a cyberpunk universe, but mixed a bit with dungeons and dragons."

"Your avatar in Virtual is automatically generated, and based on you. The player. It reaches deep inside your heart, and chooses what's best for you!"

"Huh...that's something new." Marie commented.

Rex shifted slightly, his hair rubbing against the pillow he was using.

"Hmm?"
"Oh, it's nothing, Honey." She tapped his arm, "What do you want for dinner, My Love?"

It took Rex a moment to answer, but he eventually decided on something.

"Just order pizza. You don't have to cook anything."

"Pizza, are you sure?"
"Yeah, totally." He yawned, "It gives you more time to stay here with me."

Marie thought he was adorable. He had such a delicate charm in his words, even if he had a rough voice.

He was only like that with her, and she treasured it.

"Okay. Let me sit up to order though."

Marie sat up, and picked up her phone. It took Rex a while, but eventually he lifted himself up with his arms and eyed the television.

"Hey." He perked up, "That looks cool."

"Oh, the video game thing? I don't really understand how it works, but a lot of people seem to like it."