{8}: "Intelligence"

"I bet he's not gonna love her back."
"Oh, no?"

Rex and Marie watched a show on their television. Their eyes refused to look away, as they were incredibly interested.

Rex took a chip out of the between him and Marie, and placed  it into his mouth.

"Mmm, I think he's in love with Sam."
"Honestly...that makes sense."

Voices sounded from the TV.

'Leah, you're a great girl...but I'm in love with someone else. I'm in love with Sam.'

"What did I say? That wasn't a plot twist for me."  Rex leaned back, "She's literally the best character. If he doesn't want Leah, I'll take her."

Marie blinked, then looked at Rex with an annoyed expression. "Honey..."

"I'm joking! She's...actually kinda ugly."

Marie laughed, "You don't have to call her ugly. She's pretty. I know you're kidding."

Rex pulled Marie closer, kissing the side of her head. "You're the most gorgeous babe ever. No other woman compares."

"Tough Guy, you're so sweet." Marie averted her gaze, "Everything has been so...quiet."

"It's nice, yeah? I like it."

"Me too." Marie paused, "But we should probably take that back. Everytime we say something like that, something chaotic happens."

"Ehhh...we might be fine this time. No biggie."

Marie leaned against him, then hugged his arm gently. She snuggled her cheek into him, taking in his warmth.

"Hmm?" Rex looked down at her, "What's up?"

"Nothing. I just love you."

Rex smiled, "I love you too."

Marie closed her eyes, "Can we go to bed? It's pretty late."

"Yeah, of course. I'm tired too. Let me just change."

"Okie dokie!" Marie sat up straight, stretching out her arms. "Leave your shirt off?"

"Nice try. It's freezing outside." Rex chuckled.

Marie giggled, as he walked out of the living room. She then started cleaning up their mess.

After folding the blankets, and tidying up any snacks, she turned off the television.

"There we go. All clean."

Just then, her cell phone played a tune on the table below her. She was receiving a call.

"Huh? Who's calling at this hour?"

Marie picked up her phone, and answered the call. "Hello?"

"Marie!" Watevra sounded on the other end.

"Aww, Watevra! How are you? I hope you're doing okay. We haven't visited in a while."

"Yeah, me and hubby are totally good. I'm sorry for calling so late. Yeesh! Midnight. You and Rex sure do stay up late."

"We often don't, but we really wanted some time together. With all the time we had, we grew a bit tired of outdoor dates. We just wanted a night at home."

"I understand." Watevra replied, "I'm calling because you were invited to join u tomorrow. Bats and I were requested for a meeting on a nearby planet. They asked for you too."

"Really? Which planet?" Marie wondered.

"Brightel."

Marie's eyes lit up, "Really?! We were invited to  the legendary Brightel?"