{6}: "RJ's Best Friend"

[Somewhere between the events of "Perfect Future"]

RJ scribbled away on a sheet of paper. Half of his body was under his bed, while his legs kicked happily on the open side.

Ryder joined him, looking over his work on the paper. His tail wagged with excitement.

RJ hummed to the pop music he had been playing on his nearby stereo, and eventually reached a point where he put down his current crayon.

"Green, please?" He held out his hand.

Ryder picked up the green colored crayon with his mouth, handing it to RJ.

"Thank you." RJ continued drawing. Ryder once again watched him quietly.

The door of RJ's bedroom opened suddenly. Rex peeked into his son's room.
"RJ."

RJ got up so fast, he hit his head on his bed.
"Ah!"

He very quickly recovered, moving outwards and into the open. "Hey Dad."

"You okay?"
"Yeah." RJ rubbed the back of his head.

Ryder moved out into the open, licking RJ's hand as a form of comfort. He really was more like a dog than a dinosaur.

Rex stepped further into the bedroom, "What are you doing down there?"

"Drawing, but you can't see it yet. It's not ready."

"I see." Rex chuckled, "I guess I can wait a while longer. Mom finished breakfast. It's best to get it while it's still warm, ya know?"

"Mmm hmm!" RJ nodded, standing up. "Come on, Ryder."

RJ and Rex walked out of the room, and Ryder followed after them. Every morning he followed RJ to breakfast.

Deep within his raptor mind, he did feel strange, being the only one downstairs and away from the others.

His brothers and sister stayed upstairs, but he needed more than what they had. Ryder needed a friend. He needed RJ, who he loved the second he saw him.

RJ and Rex finally entered Rexcelsior's kitchen area. Rex grabbed his coffee mug off the counter, while RJ ran up to Marie, hugging her.

"Hey, Mom! Are they done?!"
"Yes." Marie looked down, "Sit down, I'll serve you a plate. Oh, but feed Ryder first."

"Okay!" RJ bounced. He ran over to the fridge, opening it. "What are we feeling today, Ryder?"

Ryder circled his feet, chirping excitingly.

RJ opened up a fridge compartment, pulling out a strip of freshly cut fish. He turned, closing the fridge, then putting it into Ryder's bowl by the kitchen entrance.

"That's a Cod. I think. I need to learn all the fish names."

RJ picked up Ryder's water bowl, and filled it up at the nearby sink. Afterwards he quickly returned it to its regular spot.

"There you go, boy." RJ pet his raptor friend, before going to the table.

His eyes sparkled when saw that Marie prepared him a stack of fluffy chocolate chip pancakes. They had the perfect amount of syrup, and were paired with a glass of chocolate milk.

"Thank you, mom!" RJ sat down.

Marie bent down, kissing his cheek.
"I promised you yesterday that I would make them. I never break my promises."

Rex got himself a plate, sitting down in the seat next RJ. "I gotta eat. Then I gotta go."

He shoved a forkful of pancake into his mouth, chewing it quickly. He was in a noticeable hurry.