Chapter 40: Prophecy

-Konoha-

In an unknown location in Konoha, a lone figure slowly travelled through an underground passageway beneath the village, with only a small torch lighting his way.

After several minutes the figure arrived at the end of the passageway and entered a large room with numerous bookshelves, filled with hundreds of scrolls and books.

"This could take a while" the figure said to himself, when he saw just how many scrolls and books there were in here. Ignoring the scrolls for the time being, the figure began pulling out various books off their shelves and then putting them back when they weren't the one he was look for.

After about an hour of searching the figure finally found the book he was looking for, which read "How to care for your Bonsai Tree."

Quickly opening the book, the figure began scanning each page carefully in the hope of finding what he was looking for. But when he reached the final page of the book, to his frustration, the page turned out blank.

Thinking he must have gotten the wrong book, the figure was about to place the book back, but stopped when he noticed several Kanji appear on blank page. But as soon as they appeared they quickly disappeared again.

Holding the page up the Kanji slowly reappeared again. Realizing that this was what he had been searching for, the figure quickly closed the book and raced for the exit, wanting to show this to his mother as quickly as possible.

-Hokage Mansion, Konoha-

Sitting at her desk, a rather annoyed looking Tsunade had just finished rereading the after mission reports from Naruto recent mission at the border. Needless to say the female Hokage was far from pleased when she learned that what was supposed to be a simple C rank mission turned into a battle between her son's team and a full company of Iwa Shinobi.

"I swear that boy is a trouble magnet, everywhere he goes he gets into some kind of trouble." Tsunade grumbled to herself. But what really worried her was how the Iwa Shinobi had been targeting her son and knew where he would be. After finishing the report, Tsunade agreed with Kushina and the others theory that Iwa had a spy in Konoha; it was the only thing that made sense of the whole situation.

Shortly after finishing reading the report, the Tsunade heard a loud knock on the door, responding with an "Enter" the door opened and revealed Shimura Danzo. Slowly entering the office, the old Shinobi closed the door behind him.

"You asked for me Lady Hokage?" Danzo asked dully, taking one of the two seats in front of Tsunade's desk.

"Yes" Tsunade answered. "I take it that you've already heard of the recent incident we had at the Ame border?"

"Indeed I have, it was fortunate that your son and his team were able to hold out against such a large raiding force until reinforcements arrived. But I suspect that is not exactly the full story, given how you summoned me here."

"Yes" answered Tsunade. "I've classified the exact details of the mission due to some trouble issues that have come to light."

"Such as?" inquired the old Shinobi, raising left eyebrow.

"According to the reports, the Iwa plan was to kidnap Naruto and kill everyone else and make it look like Ame was responsible..."

"Where we would then respond by breaking our pack with Ame and retaliate, which would then lead to all out war." finished Danzo, to which Tsunade just nodded. "You are certain of this?"

"We are?" Tsunade replied, "The Iwa Shinobi specifically targeted Naruto, and after searching some of the bodies, Kushina and her team found several Ame headbands on them. Also according to the reports Sandaime Tsuchikage's son and Granddaughter were among the group."