02

Pilot

IT HAD BEEN a year since the disappearance of Alison Dilaurentis. Nobody knew what had happened, or if they did, they hadn't told anyone. Rumours had been floating around of what people suspect had happened. But they were just that, rumours.

Aria, Dylan, Emily, Hanna and Spencer grew apart after Alison's disappearance. They barely spoke to each other anymore. Alison was the reason they had been friends and without her they had no reason to remain together.

Dylan was at the mall trying on a pair of doc martens, when a voice spoke up from behind her,

"Not sure your mum would allow you to wear those to school." A grin spread across Dylan's face as she recognised the voice. Turning around she spotted Hanna, the only girl out of the original six that she stayed close to, and Mona, who she had grown close to over the past year.

Dylan shrugged as she bent down to see how much they cost, "You know me Han, i don't care what my mother thinks."

She groaned upon reading the tag, $300. She had blown through her money over the summer and didn't have enough to buy the gorgeous pair of boots.

"Come on D, just do a little bit of free shopping. We won't tell." Mona said with a smirk. The two girls had been planning on doing that anyway.

Dylan bit her lip before ripping the tag off and placing the shoes she was previously wearing, plain black sneakers, into her bag. Hanna and Mona walked off and Dylan made her way upstairs, catching sight of Spencer Hastings.

The Hastings girl was looking through racks of shirts when Dylan approached. "Hey, Spence."

Spencer turned around at the sound of her old friends voice, a smile making its way onto her face. "Hey Dylan. How's your summer been?" She asked.

She shrugged walking over and browsing through the clothes, "Same old. Shopping, drinking, sleeping. How was yours?"

Spencer returned to searching for a shirt, "Good. Spent most of it turning the barn into a loft."

Dylan grabbed a tight long sleeved, dark blue shirt off the racks and put it in her bag before replying,
"That's a good idea. I'd give anything to not have to sleep in the same house as my mum."

Spencer looked over at the girl with a look of sympathy. "Things still bad over there?"

Dylan rolled her eyes before replying, "You have no idea."

Before the conversation could go down roads that Dylan would rather avoid, Hanna appeared behind the girls.

"Spencer Hastings has time to shop." She said teasingly. Spencer laughed before looking between the two girls, taking in a breath, "Did you see the paper today?"

Dylan could feel her heart sink a little, knowing what the girl was getting at. It was another topic she liked to avoid. She nodded, "Yeah."

"She's gone but she's everywhere." Spencer replied.

Hanna let out a deep breath, "I can't believe it's been a year."

Spencer's gaze dropped to the floor, before looking at the two girls in front of her again, "Do you remember what Ali said that night, about our secrets keeping us close? I think it was the opposite."