Secrets

Captain Barbossa was studying the charts when Narcissa stormed into the cabin looking rather irritated.

"Why didn't you tell me about your bargain with Tia Dalma?" she demanded. Surprise and annoyance filled Barbossa. Although with the way her eyes were flashing and her lips pursed, he was also briefly reminded of her mother Lydia. Now THAT was a woman with a temper.

"How'd ye know about that?" he asked shaking himself from his revery.

"Tia Dalma told me," she replied. "She said you have some deal to fulfill in exchange for the resurrection." He saw worry cloud his daughter's face as her voice quieted. "She said if you don't fulfill it, you'll die again." Barbossa sighed.

"Well, I have every intention of keepin me word so you needn't be concerned." Narcissa appeared unconvinced.

"What does this bargain entail?" she asked. Barbossa paused. His daughter's worry was precisely why he hadn't told her about the deal.

"Bloody sea witch," he muttered. He gestured for Narcissa to take a seat and began his explanation.

"Tia Dalma isn't just any sea witch. She's the goddess Calypso in human form," Narcissa's eyes widened and he could tell she understood the gravity of the situation. After all he'd told her plenty of sea stories as a child.

"How did that happen?" she queried.

"The first Brethren Court bound her to gain control of the seas. She can only be freed by the 9 members of the Court."

"Which is why she needs you and Jack," said Narcissa comprehension dawning on her face.

"Precisely," Barbossa replied.

"Does anyone else know?" she asked. Barbossa shook his head.

"No. And I'd like to keep it that way." Narcissa nodded.

"Of course. So many secrets on this boat," she murmured.

"It's how ye survive in this world," Barbossa told her. Every day he saw his daughter improve when it came to piracy. But she still had much to learn.

"That's true enough," she agreed before standing up. "But I don't want anymore secrets between us. We're in this together." Narcissa placed a hand on his arm, gazing up at him with those blue eyes so like his. Once again Hector was filled with a sense of gratitude that he was able to have his daughter here with him.

"I know you want to protect me but I'm safer knowing the truth." Barbossa nodded.

"Yer right lass. Sometimes I forget how much you've grown. I'll not hold anything else back." Narcissa smiled.

"Good, I'm glad that's settled." she turned to leave. "I'd better get back out there."

"What's yer hurry?" he asked.

"Well, while you were dead Ragetti went religious and now I'm teaching him to read. Mind you considering how protective he and Pintel were of me after you died it's the least I can do."

Hector was glad to hear that his two longest standing crew members had taken it upon themselves to look out for his daughter when he couldn't. He raised an eyebrow.

"Any luck?" Narcissa shrugged.

"A little. Who knows, by the time we finish this voyage he may complete a full sentence," her tone was fond but joking and Barbossa chuckled as she left.

Narcissa might have her mother's temper, but she had his humor.

PotC

Passing time on a ship headed where no man had ever returned from before wasn't always easy. Mercifully they hadn't run into any opposition since leaving Singapore. But it made things a bit dull.