The Calm Before the Storm

Five-year old Narcissa was standing next to her mother in their little cottage helping her make bread. Or rather Lydia was making bread while Narcissa ended up slightly covered in flour much to Lydia's amusement. Their laughter however, was interrupted by knock at the door. The two females froze.

"Narcissa, if you hear anything bad get out and run," her mother hissed as she grabbed a dagger and went to answer the door while Narcissa moved towards the back door. She waited with baited breath and then she heard a gasp come from her mother and a voice outside say,

"Did ye miss me Lyddie?" Narcissa knew that voice. Seconds later her father came around the corner and she barreled his arms. He caught her and lifted her up.

"Daddy!" she cried with excitement as she hugged him tight inhaling the salty smell of the sea on his jacket. His beard and hair scratched against her cheek but she didn't care. Her father was home.

"Hello Treasure," he said sitting down in a chair and setting her on his lap.

"She's missed you. It's all I can do to stop her running down to the docks every day," her mother said with a smile.

"I'm not surprised. She has the sea in her blood," answered her father.

"Not to mention trouble from your side," her mother teased.

"Well that goes without saying," smirked her father Narcissa reached up for her father's large feathered hat. He swept it off his head and placed it on hers. As it was too big it slipped down over here eyes. She pushed it up slightly so she could look up into her father's blue eyes and smiling face.

*End of Flashback*

Narcissa found herself staring into those same eyes on an older face. She was leaning on the edge of the crow's nest and he had come to join her.

"How are ye feeling?" he asked gently.

"Nervous, worried, scared." Narcissa had done her best to keep a strong face in front of the other pirates but now in the dark, under a starry sky with nobody but her father to see she letter herself become vulnerable.

"Well, I'd think ye a fool if you weren't at least a little scared," her father replied.

"It's not so much for myself, although I certainly don't want to die, I worry but you and Elizabeth. The people dearest to me are now going to be fighting for their lives. On top of that I'm 23 and about to lead a hoard of pirates against the entire East India Trading Company's armada. I'm leading a fight not just for life but for freedom, and...I'm not sure I'm ready." she glanced at him and saw his blue eyes soften as they always did with her.

"Not long ago I might have thought the same. That while brave ye were too green for a fight like this. But I know different now. You handled those soldiers in Singapore better than many a pirate I've seen and ye held your own at the Court against pirates twice your age and experience. I can't say for sure if we'll win tomorrow. But with you leading us we'll certainly have a fighting chance."

"Thank you, daddy," Narcissa said softly reverting to the diminutive form she rarely used since entering adulthood.

"Of course, treasure," he replied. Narcissa glanced down at her mother's ring.

"Do you think mother would be proud of me?" she asked softly. Her father chuckled.

"I doubt she could have predicted you becoming pirate King but she'd certainly be pleased with how you turned out. I notice ye took her name." his tone was curious rather than accusatory. Narcissa sighed.

"I first took on Davis to fit in and hide. When you died, I took your name as a way to honor you and carry on your legacy. Now you're back and I'm starting to make somewhat of a reputation I want to stand on my own feet. I don't want to be known just for being the daughter of a notorious pirate. I want to be seen as one myself. That said I'll always be a Barbossa at heart," she added leaning against him.