Jade Ⅵ

It was a dark day off the coast of Viri as we left port. We're worthy, I thought proudly. Christopher James and I had passed Captain Ethan Patch's first test. Still, in my week at sea on the Blind Beauty, I'd found him to be an unsatisfactory captain. He was not a kind man, nor did he inspire much loyalty. I would never follow him if I had a choice, I thought. Would that we'd been docked in a larger port. Then Chris and I might've found our own way to Seasport.

"Storm's a comin'," a crew member said as we watched the horizon. Lightning flashed in the distance, and thunder rolled over us moments later.

"Aye," I agreed. Should've waited it out in port, I thought. Captain Ethan Patch had no patience, though. He was going to complete Stanley Sailsman's quest and gain his freedom or die in the act. That much was clear to me.

"Furl the sails," Captain Patch's first mate yelled. Levvit was his name, and he was a large man. With strong features, a hairless head and face, and the build of a giant, he was easily the most intimidating man on the Blind Beauty. His voice boomed like a storm. "Batten down the hatches. Storm's a comin'."

I complied as quickly as I could; on our second with the crew, Chris and I had watched Captain Patch give a man thirty lashes for his incompetence. I had no wish to follow that man in his punishment. The wind was almost enough to knock me off my feet as I stumbled towards the rigging, but Chris caught.

"Watch yerself, Jade," he said. "Can't get te Seasport if yer stuck drowning."

I can't drown, I almost said, but I couldn't say such things aloud. Not here. It was hardly true anyway, anything that breathed air could drown. I'd seen that firsthand back home more than once. We can last a while under the ocean, but we can still drown.

Thunder rolled over the ship again as I was about to speak. My words wouldn't have been heard. When the noise was gone, so was Christopher James. "Thanks," I muttered sarcastically. Then I followed my companion up the rigging.

We'd only just finished tying up the foresail when a heavy rain began to fall. Chris and I were nearly on opposite sides of the ship then. I couldn't hear his words, but I saw him yelling. Get below decks, I guessed. The wind carried someone's hat past my face. I glanced back towards the other sails. Captain Patch was right about his crew being slow, I thought. In spite of Chris's advice, I found myself making my way over to help the rest of the crew.

My worn seaman's clothing was soaked through by the time I reached the main sail. "I can't tie it," a frantic boy yelled when I reached him. Even in the rain, I could see his tears. He was frantically holding onto the yard like his life depended on it. It does, I realized. The wind will blow him away if he lets go.

My wet hair was plastered across my face as I crawled carefully towards him. A quick glance behind me showed me that I'd been followed, and that the starboard side of the sail had been tied up already. Levvit the first mate was glaring up at us from the deck. The young boy trembled in fear before me.

The Blind Beauty tilted portside as a flash of lightning lit up the morning sky. I slid closer to the boy as he struggled to keep himself from falling a long way into the sea. Down below, the crew was sliding around. Captain Ethan Patch emerged onto the deck carefully as I came within earshot of the boy.

"HELP ME!" he was screaming. It was a scream of pure terror. He can't be more than fifteen, I realized. A boy still. Who put him on a pirate ship? Stanley Sailsman would answer to Queen Jade of Merian for this someday, but today, Queen Jade's task was to save that boy.

"Take my hand," I reached out for the boy, keeping my voice as steady as I could. Half of him was over the edge already. The sail flailed below us as the ship steadied itself and began to tilt starboard.