Jade Ⅷ

It was a cold and cloudy day as Haeli marched me at swordpoint across the deck of the Blind Beauty. My hands were bound behind my back like the prisoner I was. Captain Ethan Patch awaited our coming at the helm as a cold wind blew through the gathering crowd. I grit my teeth so they wouldn't chatter from the cold, lest the crew mistake it for fear. Queen Jade the Just fears nothing, I told myself. She stands unwavering in the face of danger.

But I couldn't help it. I was afraid. A quick glance back showed that Christopher James was being held as a precaution too. Of course he is, I thought. He arrived with me, it's only natural they'd be wary. Levitt was up with Patch, sneering at my predicament. I glared back as Haeli marched me up the stairs to them.

"The mutineer, cap'n," she said. "Would-be mutineer, that is."

"Aye, so she is," Captain Patch nodded. "What'd she call herself again?"

"Jade the Just," Haeli answered, notably omitting the title of "queen."

Ethan Patch laughed, and his first mate echoed him. "Jade the Just... why? Ye thought it just te kill a man an' steal his ship while 'is body 'as still warm?"

"I'll only kill you if you make me," I informed him.

"You think ye can threaten me, girl?" the captain laughed. "Punishment fer mutiny in Sacreon is death. I believe tha's the law Stanley Sailsman would 'ave us enforce out 'ere."

"Aye," Haeli pushed me to my knees before them. "I can do it quick."

"Don't know if she deserves it quick," Captain Patch said. "Asides, she won't die 'til I hear how deep this betrayal goes."

"There's no need for torture," I told him, trying not to let the fear slip into my voice. "I'll tell you everyone here who wants you gone."

"You think this'll save ye from death?" Levitt sneered.

"I expect to live through this, yes," I said.

Captain Patch grunted. "That'll be decided soon," he said. Oh I know it will, I thought. "Tell me all afore I change my mind and set my swordswoman on ye."

My swordswoman, I glanced at Haeli. It's so obvious how little he truly cares. "Your swordswoman will find me a bit harder to kill than expected."

"Don't tempt me," Haeli said.

"Aye," I nodded and glanced back. "Christopher James is in on this, but I wouldn't bother to take him prisoner. You'd be hard-pressed to find any men loyal to you here on this ship."

"She speaks lies, cap'n," Levitt said.

"Aye, she does. This be my crew," Patch announced loudly.

"This be Stanley Sailsman's crew," I shot back. "They care for your life only as much as you care for theirs."

Captain Ethan Patch turned to address his crew. "Make this easy an' tell me which o' ye want te die fer this girl. I'll give ye exactly what yer askin' for."

"Wait," I said. "There's one more..."

"Speak the name."

"Haeli."

Ethan Patch struck me.

I fell to the ground, wincing.

"You lie, girl," he snarled. "Haeli is mine. 'Twas I what saved her from a water grave and took 'er in. 'Twas I what gave 'er purpose when she'd all but lost it. 'Twas I what-"

"No sense repeatin' known truth, cap'n," the Lost Swordswoman interrupted.

"Aye, o' course," the captain agreed. "I've had enough lies and deceit. Ye want me dead, girl?"