twenty four

Aurora

It's been three days since Calum left and I was craving his presence. I couldn't help but think we had something special? Or maybe I was just another groupie who didn't give him what he wanted? I didn't want to put any negative thoughts in my head but I also had to wonder.

We exchanged numbers but I was scared to text first so those ten digits were sitting in my notes app. Malcum hasn't been texting me much, just replying to my dad jokes with "cool" or "I laughed" and that was about it. I wanted to ask what was wrong with him but I was mainly thinking about Calum.

iMessage 4:44pm

aurora: what did the zero say to the eight?

malcum: what?

aurora: nice belt

malcum: oh i get it

-

iMessage 4:44pm

aurora: where do fruits go on vacation?

malcum: idk, where?

aurora: pear-is

-

iMessage 4:44pm

aurora: where do you learn how to make a banana split?

malcum: youtube
malcum: wait no
malcum: ice cream parlor?

aurora: sundae school

malcum: damn it

-

iMessage 4:44pm

aurora: what do you call a poor santa claus?

malcum: mall santa

aurora: st. nickel-less

malcum: poor santa

aurora: literally

-

It's been a week, I'm texting him. Just go for it.

I opened my notes app and copied his number and switched back over to iMessage. I opened a new conversation. I pasted the number and Malcum's name and conversation popped up.

I furrowed my brows in confusion and deleted the number and tried again. Same outcome. I pulled up Malcum's contact information and compared it to the number Calum gave me, it was the same number. It felt like my heart dropped to my toes and I started clicking things together.

The concert tickets and "Malcum" not showing up. After the soundtrack and getting to hang with 5sos before the concert, Calum getting pizza with me afterwards, the literal name Malcum was just switching the letters around, never showing his face or hearing his voice, the roommates he had, the unseen Calum pics he sent, and everything else. I've been texting Calum for nearly six months.

iMessage 5:05pm

aurora: calum???

malcum: huh?

aurora: calum you gave me your phone number before you left for texas.. why is registered to malcum

calum?: shit