#7 Minor Characters

Emery stared at the house she had to move into. It was nice, but nothing like the ones back home. It loomed under the sun's rays with rustic bricks showing it's fairly old age. A deep exhale followed her will to unbuckle from her dad's car. Thankfully he had taught her well in driver's ed before... everything.

SLAM--the driver seat door distracted her from the front door opening and the curtains from the main window swishing closed. Emery swallowed the nerves in her throat as she reached for the backseat passenger door.

"MOM!" Emery jumped back from the car, stumbling on the loose gravel. "EMERY'S HERE! TELL YOUR SON THAT HE NEEDS TO BE HELPFUL!" Her eyes met with a younger girl calling out over her shoulder and walking towards her and the car.

"WHY CAN'T YOU BE HELPFUL?!" A more mature voice echoed back from the open door of the house.

"BECAUSE! I'M GOING TO INTRODUCE MYSELF AND SHOW HER, HER ROOM!" the girl had stopped and faced the house while yelling back.

"YOU CAN HELP WITH HER LUGGAGE!"

"YOUR SON NEVER DOES ANYTHING HELPFUL AROUND HERE!"

"MY DAUGHTER DOESN'T HELP EITHER!"

"Whatever," she scoffed and turned towards me with a pout before a large smile split across her face. "Hi! You're the other mystery cousin I presume! How many bags do you have?"

"Uh, well."

"That's okay. Dad is going back to your place with the trailer to pack up things that you want to move here and grab all the important things that your dad wanted to give away. It's the whole terrible aftermath of a funeral. But as they say: it has to happen even when we aren't ready for it to happen. But I like to believe that things happen for a reason regardless. So. About that luggage, hm? Your room will be down the hall from mine farthest from everybody else, so you won't see me much--maybe more than Mr. Annoyance. Life, you know? We all wanted to give you the space you needed without overwhelming you with everybody. Mostly the boys and their crazy-ness. But anyways, how was the drive? Not terrible, I hope. I'm talking too much, sorry. You talk. Any questions?"

"Not at the moment, no. But thank you." Emery felt like the only energy she could pull was a soft response. Observing was more her territory.