#14 Normal But Not

The afternoon haze drugged me under exhaustion. I pulled my car into park with a huff. I leaned back into my seat and glanced at the clock, twenty-six minutes early. Turning the key from the ignition, I listen to my car settle. I pull myself from my seat, unbuckled, and slowly go to open the door before slamming it closed and rounding to the passenger side to get my bag. Walking away from the short honk, I entered the small building that was a glorified prison and daycare mixed in one. Passing the receptionist with a smile and short greeting, I found my way through to the classroom where my partner waits so we can go through our set-up routine. I check the extra clothing cubbies, the fire safety corner, the day’s activity, and I switch the class jobs. Waiting for the bell and calling whistle, we wipe down the slightly dusty and sticky tables from the earlier lunch detentions. We catch up, talking about our day and make our daily promise that we’d work as an equal brain cell before the unnecessarily long bell echoes through halls and classrooms. Then silence looms for another minute before the whistle calls out and slowly a few doors open and a random uniform set of twelve kids step to the side of the opening doors. When the doors close, my partner and I are outside our open door waiting to greet them. She’s with the clipboard, checking in everyone. I follow the first kid in to direct them in our daily routine. Set your bag down, wash your hands, grab a snack. It’s only Tuesday. Let’s hope no one sets another on fire again, even if it was an accident last week.