Part 17

Chapter 17.

Last week, Monday...

"Bored already?" Olivia asked Noah as she, him and Peter pulled up in front of his school and into a long line. Today was the first day of the new school year- third grade for Noah. She saw the way he'd been looking out the car window at the school, as if he'd grown tired of it over the summer.

"No, I'm excited to see all my friends, it's just that I wish I could go with you guys to the airport,"

"Hey," Olivia said as she turned to the back seat where Noah was sitting. "I'll be back in no time," and she took his hand and kissed it. "...and you and dad have my number, you can call me anytime and facetime me; we've done this before."

"Except, now I have dad to look after me!" He smiled as Peter and Olivia looked lovingly at each other. "I love you mommy, have a safe trip." He said, gathering his things for when it was his turn to get out of the car.

"No kiss?"

"Mom, the guys are watching!" Noah said, already seeing his eager group of friends outside the front of the school waving and waiting for him.

"Well, there are no rules that say I can't give you one." She said before she planted kisses all over his face and head.

"MOOOOMMMMMM!" He laughed.

"I love you, sweet boy."

"I love you too."

"...how about when I pick you up later we talk, just us?" Peter said, stealing a glance at Olivia to which she smiled. He had planned on talking to Noah about the adoption when they arrived home from Rhode Island last night, but Noah had fallen asleep in the car after they dropped Kellan off at home. Olivia was just sorry that she wouldn't be here to see Noah's reaction. She just knew that he would be beyond excited.

"Okay," the child said, giving no thought to it. Besides, usually, when Peter said 'let's talk' it was something good. "...Ice cream?"

"No," Olivia interjected but Peter threw Noah a subtle nod over her shoulder.

"You heard mom," Peter tried to keep the smile off his face. Noah grinned saying 'I love you dad' to Peter before getting out of the car, then waving as he went into the school..

They both looked back as they drove off, Olivia until the school was finally out of sight. Peter took her hand and brought it to his lips and kissed her fingertips.

"He'll be alright,"

"I know, I just wish that I could see his face when you tell him, he'll be over the moon!"

"I can wait if you want,"

"No. No, I think...I think this is a moment that should be between the two of you. Besides, we've got other things that we're gonna tell him together." She smiled, looking down as her hand went to her stomach. His met hers and rested there on her tiny swell.

"...just a matter of waiting on the results." He marveled.

She had to be at the doctor's office at seven this morning, or else they would have to wait until Saturday for the test, which neither of them wanted. They were so eager to tell Noah, hell, to tell everyone. Olivia smiled as she caressed his face and he kissed her.

She arrived in DC a little later that morning and she thankfully had time to check into her hotel suite and take a short nap. That nap was something she'd planned to do on the flight, but the woman next to her couldn't seem to shut up, engaging her in conversation the entire hour-ten-minute flight.

First conference wasn't due to start until two. It would be the only one today- three hours, but it would be the only one before the formal dinner tonight where she would be speaking. She took off her jacket, prepared to lie down when she suddenly remembered that she needed to call Fin about a case.