Part 19

Chapter 19

One week later...

"You won't believe this," Peter said as he got off the phone and entered the closet where Olivia was putting on her jacket. He stopped cold. "I don't think I've ever seen you in a skirt at work. Special occasion?" He said of the mauve, a-line dress she wore with black stiletto boots and a matching leather jacket.

"Yes, I'm pregnant and no longer going out on calls."

"Serious?" He smiled.

"I'm not doing anything that could hurt his baby, and crime scenes are questionable. By the way, what won't I believe?"

"That was Mr. Owens on the phone,"

"At 8 in the morning?" She grinned, putting on her left earring.

"He called to tell me that he's accepted our offer...the property's ours if we want it."

Olivia's hands dropped as she turned around to face him. "What?"

"We have a house for our son and daughter," he said as he cradled his hands around her stomach.

"...if we want it..." she turned herself around to face him. "And you don't know that it's a girl." She said as she held his lapel. "We're buying a house, aren't we?"

"I think we are, the question now is, when do we tell Noah?"

"He's gonna be so happy, but let's wait until we know for sure that it's ours."

...

Later that day in Casey's office, Olivia had just come in the door.

"Isn't this a surprise?" Casey said just finishing a call.

"Well, I was in the building and thought I'd stop by," she said and sat down. "You've been kind of MIA the last week or so,"

"I know, and I'm sorry. I've been swamped with work while trying to do some mental cleaning,"

"...mental cleaning?"

"Kevin...and it's a long story that I'll tell you another time. I know I'm late, but how was DC?"

"It was eye opening."

"What?" Casey laughed.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you,"

"Try me,"

"Bet you can't guess who I ran into..."

...

At the Park Lane hotel, David had just checked in and made his way up to his room and started to unpack.

He couldn't believe that just a week after everything had fallen apart with Olivia, he had to go to her city for work, and he wondered if he would run into her at some point.

"Three days is a lot of time." He thought out loud, "not so much when you're here working."

"He is the most incredible, loving man. And I'm so lucky that I get to call him my husband."

He's thought about those words every day. If only he hadn't been so afraid back then, he could have been that incredible man that Olivia got to call hers. But instead he folded and got out; got out of the only relationship that meant anything to him, got out of the job that he'd fought so hard to protect in exchange for another in DC, and he got out of New York City.

He listened to people around him when they said a couple of years later that he'd need to be married when he'd decided that he'd climb the ladder to the top in DC. It would look so much better than him being a divorced father who barely had time for his kids, and wanting to rise among the big shots, he listened to them. Six and a half years ago, he married Monica Charles. Monica was superficial and very self absorbed, but she was part of DC society and already wrapped up in her own lifestyle. This was good because it meant that she and David never saw each other, except for the occasional dinner which was usually a photo-op.