Nine.

"What's wrong?" He asked.
"Nothing. We're not friends, goodbye."
"What? Why? I don't understand."
"Well, I know why so leave me alone."
"But I didn't say anything to make you hate me, did I?" He asked cluelessly.
"Keep asking yourself that, Gabriel."
"But I'm not asking myself, Raven," he explained, frustrated. "I'm asking you."
"And what guarantees you an answer from me?"
"The fact that we just met today and you said you were my friend!" He exclaimed.
"Acquaintances, your words, not mine and now strangers, my words but for some reason, not yours."
"That didn't even make sense! Raven, what the hell's going on? Tell me," he pleaded.

I stopped walking away from him to give that some thought. He's right. I didn't necessarily tell him to steer clear of Savannah but he should've picked up the vibe that I gave off around her. Anger. Certainly, he can't be that stupid... Or can he? He touched my shoulder and I whipped around to face him. He was incredibly close to me, despite the hurt masked in anger rolling off me in waves.

"Raven, look whatever I did, I'm really sorry, alright? I don't want our small friendship to end this quick. Like as soon as I laid eyes on you, I saw that you were different, and not the good different. You were isolated and lonely. It seemed that everyone avoided you at all costs and I wasn't going to be another one of those people. I really care about you even though I've known you for only like 8 hours. And to be honest, you were my first friend here at this school and even though you really didn't want me around, you gave me a challenge. What I really wanted was a challenge and look what came to me! A challenge wrapped in purple, curly hair!"

I fought hard to hold back a laugh but the corners of my mouth drew up and laughter came pouring out of my lips like a fountain. He looked at me with a sincere smile and glistening eyes. When my smile faded, I turned the other way to avoid his intense gaze but he grabbed my face gently and stared at me some more. There was a look of pure hunger in his eyes as he stared me down, licking his lips in the process. I wasn't sure if this would be the right time to speak or not. For the billionth time in my life, I was speechless.

"Raven, thank you for being my challenge, and don't end us so soon. Another chance?" He breathed onto my lips.
"Of course," I whispered. "But don't ruin your second chance. It's your last."
"I won't," he said leaning in slowly.

I wanted to jerk back out of the way of his lips, remembering that he had a liking to Savannah but I was frozen. Setting a sweet, innocent kiss on my lips, he lingered before he pulled away with a pink, flustered face, like it took all of my courage and strength to do that. I stared at him and he sent me an awkward, boyish smile and said, "Bye Raven," before rushing out of my presence. I smiled, beamed actually, before walking off.

Damn you, Gabriel.