Chapter 2

Imani

It's early Sunday morning. Mums birthday. She told me to wake her up after my shift at the corner shop, at 10 today.

I get changed, put a jacket on and leave.

I'm carrying an empty tote bag, looks mad but it's to fill up with stuff for my mum

I'm carrying an empty tote bag, looks mad but it's to fill up with stuff for my mum. I haven't had the chance to buy her anything this week, I've been so busy. So I'll go to the market nearby after my shift and get her somethin.

***

I walk out of the shop with my pay check as my shift ends. I walk to the market.

Ski masks walk past dangerously and one ski mask in particular stops in his tracks.

"Aye, it's you." He says deeply, walking next to me.

"Hi." I say softly. His friends call him back but he ignores them.

"What happenin today?" He asks.

"Mums birthday. Got to get her something."

"Tell her I said-"

"Why'd you give me that weed?" I ask, cutting off whatever he was about to say and turning to him so that we stand, facing each-other in the pavement.

"Can't a guy give a girl a gift?" He shrugs it off.

"So are you interested?" I ask and his eyes widen a bit.

"I'm not uninterested." He replies. I smile and roll my eyes and continue walking. He follows.

***

He followed me around all the stalls, all the shops. Talked to me as I bought my mum stuff. Carried my bags and all. Road man turned gentleman.

"What's your name?" He asks. We're sitting on the swings in the middle of the estate.

"Imani." I say.

"Thought it was Rafaella."

"Thas my middle name...how do you know that?" I ask.

"You're the talk." He states and his eyes meet mine. I suddenly feel the fluttering in my stomach and look away.

"What's yours?" I ask.

"Jamal," He states and stands up "but you won't get any information here asking around for that name."

"So what are you called?"