Chapter 9

Imani

I'm so tired. Exams are just round the corner. I open my laptop sleepily in the dark. It's dawn. I look at my emails hoping for a change.

I got an unconditional offer and scholarship into fucking Berkeley University in California.

The scholarship is from some separate funding unfortunate kids program I applied for. Never in a million years did I think I'd get into that either, I just applied for the sake of it.

I got the email last night apparently. I don't know how to tell Jamal. Or my mum. It's all the way in America...

"Morning ❤️" he texts me. He's always awake early...delivering.

"When are you done with work?"

"Around 9. Pick u up then?"

"Yeah x"

I close my phone and laptop and go tell my mum. She smiles and hugs me.

"You gonna leave me too then?" She says jokingly, but she has tears in her eyes. I hug her and she cries.

"Oh mum...I won't leave, never mind."

She shakes her head.

"You're going. Just come back for me one day, alright?" She asks with a sad smile. Why does my heart hurt?

I nods in reply and she holds my face.

"I'm so proud of you." she whispers. She's coming with me, I need to figure everything out first, but I'm not leaving her here.

***

I get changed nicely. It's kind of chilly out today so I wear something comfy and I have my curly blonde in a scarf with my edges laid. I don't know how my man will react.