chapter six.

Song for this chapter:

Waiting Game by Banks

Love Banks!

                        •••

"This is where you'll be staying." Naomi opens a door to a small bedroom. She leads me inside and turns a lamp on.

The lamp lights the room nicely and a series of patterns of stars spray on the walls. I look up at the ceiling in wonder and amazement at the way the stars move slowly across the wall and ceiling.

"Do you like it?" She asks.

I nod as I hold my sock monkey, walking further into the room and looking at everything.

The walls of the room has flowers on it. It looks old but it's pretty. The carpet on the floor is soft and I wonder whose room this really was. I look to Naomi and she's smiling at me.

She sits on the bed as her smile fades.

"You're probably really confused." She says.

"My daddy died." I say and she blinks up at me.

"Yes." She says. "He did."

"And you're going to be my new mommy." I say. She frowns and stands to her feet again, kneeling in front of me.

"I don't want to force you into anything. You don't have to call me mom or Todd dad. Just think of us as two nice people who want to take care of you, okay?" She says.

"Why can't you have a baby?" I ask.

I see she's taken aback by my question and tears surround her blue eyes.

"I...my body can't hold a baby. Some girls are like that." She shrugs as she clears her throat.

I nod, still trying to understand.

"This room was set up for my baby but I lost her." She says, a tear slipping down her cheek. Out of instinct, I reach out and wipe the tear away. She gasps.

My daddy used to cry a lot but I never knew why. I think because he missed my mommy.

                         •••

"Are you serious?"

I look through the reflection in the mirror to see Jackie's unsatisfied expression. She wears a sparkling black dress that stops just a bit above the knee. Her hair is curled to one side and her makeup is perfect. Per usual.

I look back at my reflection. Dark skinny jeans and a tank top.

"I don't want to dress up." I say and she rolls her eyes as she scoffs. Her six inch black heels sound muffled against the carpet of my room as she walks towards me.

"Well when you go out clubbing, you have to dress up. You need a boyfriend." She says and I shake my head.

"I don't need anything." I say and she shakes her head this time.

"Take that off." She says before she leaves my room.

I groan as I pull my tank top off and then my jeans.

"I found the perfect dress." She tries to run as she holds another black dress. "Come on."

I scrunch my nose and hurry to pull it on. As I push the the straps of the dress over my shoulders and shimmy a bit, I look at my reflection once again.