chapter seventeen

Seventeen

Jay pov:

The week passed quicker than I thought it would. I aced all of my final exams; no duh because Declan spilt the beans of that, and every guy in the warehouse had almost literally thrown studying at me. But I’m still surprised that I got almost 100s on them. A couple errors, no surprise.

I had returned to Cal’s house, but I brought up the subject of moving out after graduation, which he was surprised and not at the same time that that was so soon. He said he’d think about it and tell me later, but I had a feeling he’d say yes. But I wasn’t going to get high hopes, just in case.

He knew I wasn’t going to a big college, maybe not even community college, which I could go to if I wanted. But I wanted to work in the warehouse. That place was practically my whole life. I found myself there. And I wasn’t ready to leave it.

I got my cast off this morning, thankfully. I know what you’re thinking, but the doctor said it wasn’t that big of a break. And I always heal fast, so that’s why I got the cast off and am allowed to walk freely again. Whoo!

So here I am, my last Friday on school grounds and not in my crutches, in my stupid pale green and white gown and pale green cap. It’s not that it looked bad on me; in fact, I looked the best in it because it matched my eyes. Can you believe no one else has green eyes in my class but me? Ridiculous!

The valedictorian, a guy that was one of my smarter friends named Johnny, was giving his big speech. It was kind of a classic speech, you know, we can spread our wings, we can do things ourselves, blah, blah, blah…but he also had his own words and twist in them. He even added humor in, which was good; lightens the mood. And he was also really serious about all of this. But over all, it was really good, though I didn’t stand up to applaud him because of my leg.

Principal Kikuga, a really cool guy, clapped along with us, and he announce, “Now, our class of 2011. Johnny Rosewood.”

Johnny gladly and cheerily took his diploma and shook Kikuga’s hand as he told him congratulation. After a droned out and long list of names read, Kikuga announced, “Jaylyn Kingsley.”

There was the usual applaud as I got up and made my way on to the stage. When I received my diploma, Kikuga told me congrates and a couple other things that made me actually like him. Over all the applauding, I heard a group of male voices boom, “Go Jay!” “You did it, girl!” “Congrates Jay!”

My eyes spotted the source, and I beamed as I joined Ally’s side. It was the pack! As far as I could tell, they were all here and Cal was in front of them with Ethan and Declan. I laughed at them, making them clap more, but they stopped along with the crowd. I couldn’t believe them.  

Once my entire class was called out, Kikuga waved to us and said finally, “Ladies and gentlemen, our class of 2011!”

A huge applaud went off as we all tossed our caps away (I aimed mine at Declan, who caught it surprisingly), and the students went off to their families while I bolted on over to my uncle and the pack. I finally reached them on the outside of the crowd, and each gave me a hug and congratulation; even Suzy and her kids were there for me. I looked at Ethan. “Was all this your doing?”

“Maybe, but it was Cal who convinced us to come,” Ethan answered, and I looked to my uncle, who shrugged. “These guys seem like your brothers, so why shouldn’t they come?”

“Yeah, why shouldn’t we, Jaylyn?” Jag snickered, and I glared. “Oh it’s on.”

I jumped on his back, making go him oof, and he had to start wobbling everywhere with me on his back and kind of wrestling him. He pleaded, “Someone get this crazy chick sister off of me!”