chapter twevle

Twelve

Jay pov:

Ethan suddenly brought up the next day, “Jay, we got a big race tonight. The Yalow boys this time, and there’s money in this deal this time. Big money. I want you to race.”

“Seriously? Awesome, I’m in,” I unnoticeably thanked him; Ethan nodded his ‘you’re welcome’. Declan started walking by, and I called him, “Hey Declan, you coming to the race tonight?”

“Don’t know,” he muttered and then walked off, not looking at me once. He’s been so distant from me these past few days. Did I say something? Did I do something? Oh…did I take his place in racing? Wait, Declan didn’t race. Then what the hell is wrong?

I turned to Toni next to me. “Toni, do you know what’s up with Declan?”

“Hmm? Oh, yeah, I’ve noticed. Not sure what’s wrong with him. Did you two have a fight?”

“No, we haven’t really been alone together that much. I wonder what I did to cause to be so distant. Hey Toni, you think you could talk to him?”

“Why me?”

“Why not you? You’re here, and you can tell me what he said. Then again…Ethan might be better. Ethan!” I called as soon as he was nearby. He nodded and headed back over here. “What’s up Jay?”

“Do you know what’s up with Declan? He’s so distant and just mutters as little as possible.”

“To you, not to the rest of us,” Toni added. I glanced at him, annoyed, and then back to Ethan; he sighed. “It’s something you and him need to work out. Sorry.”

“How am I supposed to talk to him when he just mutters one to two words to me now?” I inquired like I was talking a moron. In a way, I kinda was. Ethan nodded, considering my problem; thank you, he can think! “I’ll make sure he’s nicer at our party tonight because I know we’re gonna win, right Jay?” He eyed me coyly.

“Right boss lad,” I agreed, confident about tonight. Looks like too-damn-fun is gonna be knocking down my door tonight.

Declan pov:

I waited patiently for Jay with Ethan, Toni, and Jag, though I was not reluctant to leave. But Ethan had told me to be a good friend of Jay and watch her race. He wants me to talk to her tonight…and as I think more about it, I decided I should. It’s time for her to know.

“Where’s your driver, Holloway?” called the leader of the Yalow boys, Sean Yalow. I glanced at Ethan, expecting to be pissed by being called by his last name so offensive, but he was calm. “They’ll be here any minute now.”

At the sound of a roaring engine, we all looked up to see Jay’s car zooming to us and then parking next to the competitor’s car. The door opened and then she came out…holy crap. She had to be more than the sexiest thing in the universe, because she had already been that before.

She was wearing a low V neck tank top that shows her abs and then a black leather jacket along with black skinny jeans, but she still has her black sneakers on. She has eyeliner and her hair is settled gorgeously around her sweet face, which has a knowing smirk. She greeted us, “Sorry about being late lads. So you’re Sean Yalow?”

Sean and his four boys hooted their heads off as Jay joined Ethan’s side. Sean snickered, “You? You’re their driver? But you’re a sexy girl!”

“Oh, I’m sexy?” she coyly repeated, batting her eyelashes. Sean raised an eyebrow. “Yeah, in fact, wanna come over here, baby?”

Jay grinned sweetly, and for a brief second, I thought she was going to. Then she retorted, “You’re gonna regret offering that for rest of your life, Sean laddie. And I’m no one’s ‘baby’, got that? Now let’s make our deal.”