chapter twenty

Twenty

Jay pov:

The music boomed around me as the guys unexpectedly hoisted me up in the air and started chanting, “Jay! Jay! Jay! Jay! Jay!”

I laughed while on Ethan’s and Declan’s shoulder and yelled at them, “Put me down! You know? I’m not surprised why you’re not asking me how I got that stuff that saved your asses!”

They sat my butt down on the bar counter, and Toni demanded of me, “Okay, how did you do all that?”

“Actually, Cal did all of that!” I grabbed my uncle’s hand hoisted him up beside me. “He’s the reason you lot aren’t in jail. He’s the one who got all the agreement.”

“But why would you do that?” I heard Milo shout out, and I laughed and looked at MJ, beaming. “Because MJ and I are cousins.”

“We are?” he repeated, and the guys gasped, “You are?”

“I think I’ll let Cal speak now,” I announced to them then turned to Cal. He nodded. “Well, when I looking for Jay here, when I saw you, Ethan, offering MJ the safety with your pack. I wasn’t sure if it was code for gang then, but now I know. You see, MJ, I didn’t mean to get your mother pregnant with you, but I accidently did and she told when I ran into her a couple years back.

“And I saw what you were doing Ethan, and I didn’t want my one son that wasn’t under my ex-wife’s rules to end up in jail. So I bought the cars back from your first boost and gave them back to the owners, who later would tell me how well the cars worked. So then I got to thinking about letting you believe you were stealing cars then giving them to powerful people, but in reality, you were giving them to me and I gave them back to the owners. I almost predicted you’d end up in court one day or another, so that’s why I had the written agreements. Good thing I did, eh?”

“Hell yeah!” the guys shouted to him, raising their glasses of alcohol for him. Then Ethan pestered me, “Hang on; how did you get the rest? And when did you become a student interne to a lawyer?”

“It was easy. To your second question, I was a senior, so I was allowed free periods if I completed all my credits to graduate, which I did. Then I found Mr. Reginald and he took me as his apprentice for those hours I had before I needed to got to you.

“To your first question, after I visited you lot last night, I went to Mr. Reginald, and we immediately starting digging up the dirt for Yalow so we could turn to tables on him. We found all the research with careful eyes, and batta bing, batta boom, batta bang! We had everything we needed. And Cal told me what he had, which I swear to I didn’t know until yesterday, so that just added more. It’s why I was late; I had to get all of the owners together for court. And there you go! That’s how we saved your asses!”

The guys just cheered, and then Declan plucked me off and started making out with me intensely. But I didn’t mind it one bit because I just kissed him back hungrily. Oh God, it was just one day that I missed this, but it felt like it had been a month. Damn, I needed him too badly.

At first the pack left us only, but eventually, Jag yelled at us, “Don’t you two need to breath?!”

Declan and I pulled away to glare at him, but we stopped and just drank our victory. John complimented, “You’re a really good lawyer, Jay. You had the perfect poker face.”

I grinned and shrugged. “Yeah, I guess.”

“A lawyer pays good money,” Ethan added in, and I shrugged. Then Toni surprised me when he said, “You should study to be one.”

I did a spit take and stared at them. “Come again?”

“They want you to study in college to become a lawyer, Jaylyn,” Ben (Mr. Reginald) restated while smiling at me. “I agree. You’re very brilliant, and you were fantastic today. If you want, I could recommend you for Harvard since I was valedictorian of my class; I’m sure you’d get in anyways.”